Main Library Restoration Update
This summer, we invite all library users to Read Away Fines and fees off their library accounts. Any overdue fines or fees from Eckhart Public Library are eligible to be read away for each print item checked out, read, and returned to any Eckhart Public Library location. If you have a balance on your account, of any amount, tell us you want to read it away and we can give you more details. Please note that postage and agency fees cannot be waived, nor can money owed to other Evergreen Indiana Libraries. For more information on the main library, please visit ForEveryCitizen.org
- Cinemaniacs – A Teen Movie Club: Join us on the first and third Tuesdays of June and July for a movie screening with refreshments. On the second and fourth Tuesdays we’ll be discussing the films coupled with an exciting exercise and activity to go along with the movie theme. Today, we’ll be watching “E.T.” Tuesday, June 18, 5:30-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Classic City Readers Book Club: Join us as we dive into a new book coupled with conversation and ideas. Classic City Readers will be reading a diverse variety of titles and topics on our journey through books. Participants will be discussing “Defending Jacob” by William Landlay. Wednesday, June 19, 12-1 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center.
- LEGO Club – Summer Edition: Our summer edition of LEGO Club will feature themes all about space and exploring the galaxy! Build in our individual challenges or share ideas in our collaborative group builds! Today, we’ll pick a planet and build a challenge associated with it. Wednesday, June 19, 4-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Preschool Music and Movement: Join our partners at Ratio Dance as preschoolers learn dancing skills, fine motor skills, and how movement can help to express emotions. Stick around after you get those wiggles out for Family Storytime right after! Wednesday, June 19, 6-6:30 p.m., Auburn Plaza Location.
- Summer Family Storytime: A storytime session for the whole family! We’ll be reading books, singing songs, crafting, and playing with themes that go with our space theme to help children grow and learn. Wednesday, June 19, 6:30-7 p.m., Auburn Plaza Location.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers, no matter what genre, are encouraged to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. This group is for adults 18+. Wednesday, June 19, 6:30-7:45 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Thursday Family Program: Join us on Thursdays throughout summer for exciting family programs for all ages! Experience Eckhart Public Library’s very own Planet Walk on the lovely trail at Eckhart Park! Thursday, June 20, 10:15-11 a.m., Eckhart Park (1500 S Cedar St.).
- Kids in the Kitchen: Kids in the Kitchen is a chance for kids to experience food first hand, from dicing to dining. Each week we will cook something new. Some weeks will be space- themed to go along with our Read. Do. Explore: A Universe of Stories, others will be American regional foods that may be less familiar. Visit our calendar at epl.lib.in.us/calendar to find out what we’re making this week! Thursday, June 20, 4-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available from this group. Thursday, June 20, 6-7:45 p.m., Auburn Plaza Location.
- Star Wars Trivia: You don’t have to travel through hyperspace to come to Star Wars Trivia at Mad Anthony’s! Join the Dark Side, or be a Rebel, and put your Star Wars knowledge to the test. May the Force be with you! Thursday, June 20, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Mad Anthony Taproom (114 N Main St.).
- Summer Family Storytime: A storytime session for the whole family! We’ll be reading books, singing songs, crafting, and playing with themes that go with our space theme to help children grow and learn. Friday, June 21, 10:15-10:45 a.m., Auburn Plaza Location.
- Teen Magic: The Gathering Cube: Magic: The Gathering (MTG) Club is held every Friday at the Teen Library for its teenage patrons. This is a time to talk about the game, its strategy, things happening in the MTG world, and just to play some games. Formats include a mix of Standard/Modern, Commander, and Pauper. If you’re just starting, don’t worry – we have extra card decks for you to play with. New members, beginners and experts alike, are always welcome! Friday, June 21, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Cosmic Creations: In this session of Art at Auburn Brewing Company, we’ll get cosmic with some arts and crafts supplies straight from outer space! Create your wildest psychedelic masterpiece. Glow-in-the-dark paint, neon paint, and more will be at your disposal. This event is free & no registration is required! Friday, June 21, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Auburn Brewing Company (309 N Main St.).
- War of the Worlds Broadcast: On October 30, 1938, Orson Welles started broadcasting H.G. Well’s novel War of the Worlds, about an alien invasion, over the radio. Unfortunately, not everyone realized that this broadcast was a work of fiction! This summer Eckhart Public Library is partnering with Auburn Parks and Recreation to play the original broadcast in Eckhart Park. All are welcome to bring blankets and chairs as we listen to cultural cornerstone. Telescopes will be available to stargaze into worlds unknown during the broadcast. Friday, June 21, 9:30-10:30 p.m., Eckhart Park (1500 S Cedar St.).
- Red Cross Blood Drive: Eckhart Public Library will be hosting The American Red Cross Bloodmobile on Saturday, June 22, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. for a Blood Drive in our Auburn Plaza Location Parking Lot. Please call 1-800-RED-CROSS or go to redcrossblood.org and use sponsor code eckhartpl to schedule your blood donation appointment. Hope begins with you. At the March blood drive at Eckhart Public Library 12 units of blood were able to be collected with 36 potential lives being saved. Saturday, June 22, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Auburn Plaza Location Parking Lot.