For years, library cards have been associated with checking out books. We are very proud to offer a wide variety of books and print materials in our collection. One question some librarians are asked in hushed voices is why they should get a library card if they aren’t looking for books? We’re excited to share that your Evergreen Indiana library card has amazing potential.
What else can my card access?
Eckhart Public Library is always recieving new books, but we also carry a great selection of DVDs, audiobooks, and nontraditional items such as hotspots and museum passes! (We’ll discuss more of these nontraditional items later in the month.) Your library card can also grant you access through apps such as Libby or Overdrive to thousands of digital eBooks and eAudiobooks to read or listen to on your mobile device!
What if the library doesn’t have what I’m looking for?
One of the best things about an Eckhart Public Library card is that we are part of the Evergreen Indiana Consortium – a group of libraries throughout the state of Indiana that work together to bring you more resources. Half of Indiana’s libraries are part of Evergreen, and there are over 7 million resources available in the consortium. Through this group, we can search to see if another library has the item you are looking for and request a hold; you can also do this yourself from home! Simply place a hold, and the item can be sent to your desired library destination for you to check out just like it was our item. Items can also be returned to any of our locations and any Evergreen Indiana Library, and we’ll take care of getting it checked in and sent back to its home.
If Evergreen Indiana’s vast library system doesn’t have the item you are searching for, we have other methods of searching for items that we can assist you with through our online request form. Simply fill out the form with as much detail as possible, and we will either consider buying them item for the Eckhart Public Library’s collection or will see if other libraries can loan us the item through an Interlibrary Loan.
Considering a library card?
Residents and property owners in the City of Auburn or Union Township are eligible for library cards for no additional charge, as library services are funded by their property taxes. These cards need to be updated every two years so we can maintain accuracy. For residents outside of the City of Auburn or Union Township, there is an additional cost each year. The decision to have property taxes help fund library services is decided at a township level. You can learn more about this or find your township through Beacon Property Search on this page.
A library subscription through Evergreen Indiana runs for 1 year and costs $85. This cost is calculated as the average cost per capita expended by the library. This number changes depending on the average each year. Student cards are available for $10 to all students eligible to attend DeKalb Central Schools, with a maximum charge of $30 a family. Students who receive free and reduced lunches can purchase student cards for $5 each with a maximum charge of $30 a family. Keep in mind: student cards traditionally only allow check out of Eckhart Public Library materials, but during the duration of our restoration, they will work as regular cards to request items from other libraries. Once we have returned to the main library and our collection is restored, the student cards will return to only allowing check outs of Eckhart Public Library materials.
Here are some things to consider that might aid in the decision of purchasing a library card if you’re living outside of our service area:
- Use the ALA’s Library Value Calculator to see how much you could save by buying a library card subscription. This handy tool asks you to consider how many books, items, programs, and more that you might use from or attend at the library. It will value what you would spend to utilize these resources and services outside of the library. For example, one of our staff members tried the calculator and found that she uses over $1200.00 of materials and resources each year!
- Your Evergreen Indiana library card works at any Evergreen Indiana Library. Whether you are here in town or across the state, you can walk into any Evergreen Indiana Library and use your card. This also works for returning items. Every library in DeKalb County is part of Evergreen, Indiana. Click here to see a list of Evergreen Indiana Libraries across the state!
- You can use your library card to log into our online resources from home and other locations. Some of these resources include: Novelist, Legal Forms, AtoZ World Culture, AtoZ The USA, Fold3 Genealogy Resource, and more!
- eReaders and Launch Pads are available to check out with your library card. These preloaded tablets have eBooks, games, and language resources that are themed and designed for various ages.
- Getting your library card is a great way to support EPL during our our Capital Campaign and as we rebuild for the future.
If getting a library card still doesn’t fit into your budget, we always welcome you to visit the library. You can still read items in house, attend our programs, and access in house services without a card. As the library’s benefactor Charles Eckhart once said, the Eckhart Public Library is “not for any particular class or group, but for every citizen.”