Main Library Restoration Update
On July 2, we held our Lemonade From the Library event to commemorate a year from the fire and to celebrate the future. During this event, a capital campaign entitled “For Every Citizen” was announced to the public. The campaign seeks to raise $12 million to renovate and restore the historic library, grow and expand programming, and create an endowment fund for the future. At the time of announcement, the capital campaign had reached about 75% of its goal. Interested in learning more? Visit ForEveryCitizen.org to find out how you can help.
- Preschool Music and Movement: Join us on Mondays from 10:15-10:45 for dancing, music, and play! Our wonderful partners at Ratio Dance will be guiding little ones to dance and move to music. Dancing in early childhood helps to develop coordination, literacy, social development, and more (National Dance Education Organization). All are welcome to dance, move, and join in the fun! Monday, July 9, 10:15-10:45 a.m., Auburn Plaza Location.
- Teen Book Club: Teens in grades 6-12 are invited to join a summer book club held at the Teen Library beginning Monday, July 2. For the month of July, the group will be reading “And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie. Books will be available to check out at our first meeting. We will meet every Monday in July. Monday, July 9, 3:30-4:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Summer Read Movie Mondays: Teens are invited to gather at the Teen Library on the second and fourth Mondays of each month for a movie showing on the lawn. Monday, July 9, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Summer Pokémon Club: Drop-in Program during Summer! No plans, just come in between 1-4 p.m. and play! Keep an eye out for lures at EPL’s Pokémon GO! Poke-stops every Tuesday during club hours! Tuesday, July 10, 1-4 p.m., Teen Library.
- Kids in the Kitchen and Garden: Join us on Tuesdays in June and July from 4-5:30 p.m. in our Not-So-Secret Garden, located behind the Teen Library! We will learn how to water, weed, and harvest fresh produce. We will then take what we’ve grown and learn how to create delicious homemade snacks and meals! Tuesday, July 10, 4-5:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Summer LEGO Club: Join us as we build our way around the world with exotic vehicles, food, buildings, landmarks, animals, and bridges! Wednesday, July 11, 4-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Summer Read Family Programs: Join us on Thursdays from 10:15-11 a.m. for family programming! This week, the Dumpster Drummers will be visiting to help us make awesome music out of recycled materials! Thursday, July 12, 10:15-11 a.m., Eckhart Park (1501 S. Cedar St.).
- Magic: The Gathering Summer Club for Kids and Teens: Gather your planeswalkers, enchantments, and legendary creatures for Magic on Fridays! Matches begin at 3pm and go until 6:30pm! Beginners and pros all welcome! Don’t have a deck? We have extras! Friday, July 13, 3-6:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Eckhart Summer Read Ice Cream Social Finale: We will be celebrating the end of Eckhart Summer Read 2018 with an ice cream social, complete with live music and games! We will be serving ice cream from Cranberry Cottage with assorted toppings, including delicious balsamic vinegar from the Olive Twist. Local violinist and music instructor Linda Kummernuss will play a selection of violin music from the John Martin Smith Collection being digitized at the Willennar Genealogy Center, and the Auburn Community Orchestra will end the event with a performance. Friday, July 13, 4-6:45 p.m., James Cultural Plaza (208 W. 7th St.).