Eckhart Public Library has another way for the public to help after a damaging arson fire closed the Main Library building on July 2.
The library has set up a wishlist on Amazon for needed items, including craft supplies, toys, games, DVDs, and more. The wishlist can be found by clicking here. There is also a link on the library’s website.
There is also a fund set up at the Community Foundation of DeKalb County to help defray costs associated with the library’s renovation and restoration that will not be covered by insurance. Visit cfdekalb.org for more information.
Visiting the library, checking out items, and participating in programming are other ways to help support the library during this time. Adult fiction, nonfiction, audiobooks, graphic novels, DVDs, museum and park passes, Wi-Fi hotspots and CDs can be checked out from the Willennar Genealogy Center, 700 S. Jackson St., with teen and children’s items, including fiction, nonfiction, graphic novels, video games, and puppets, can be checked out from the Teen Library, 705 S. Jackson St. Both areas have computer labs, research assistance, and free Wi-Fi. Both buildings are open: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday; and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
Here are the programs happening during the week of July 24:
- Pizza & Paperbacks: Teens in 6th-12th grade can join us the 2nd and 4th Mondays of July to enjoy some pizza and listen to a great book. We are currently reading “Holes” by Louis Sachar. Monday, July 24, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Pokemon Club: The Pokemon Clubs of both children’s and teens will be combining to participate in fun Pokemon-themed activities and to battle other enthusiasts if you have cards. All will go home with their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Pokemon Club is free and no sign up is required! Tuesday, July 25, 12-2 p.m., Teen Library.
- Teen Gardening: Join us in the Not-So-Secret Garden to water, weed, and harvest fresh produce. We’ll take what we’ve grown and learn to create delicious homemade snacks!. Tuesday, July 25, 3-4 p.m., Teen Library.
- LEGO Club: Let’s build! We will be using LEGOs to build marble runs and mazes. Bring your creativity! Wednesday, July 26, 2-2:45 p.m., Teen Library.
- STEAM Challenge: During our STEAM Challenges, we will explore the exciting world of science, technology, art, and math. We’ll create chemical reactions, explosions, and create new things. STEAM Challenges are designed for children up through 5th grade. Children younger that 7 will need to be accompanied by a caregiver. Thursday, July 27, 2-2:45 p.m., Teen Library.
- Throwback Thursday: The Genealogy Staff will be joining the Teens every Thursday during the summer to see what new finds we have at the Genealogy Center. Pictures, documents, and other interesting items will be on display. Thursday, July 27, 3:30-4:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Time Travelers—The 80’s: The Time Travelers History Club will meet to explore the totally tubular 1980’s! We will look at DeKalb County and national news in the 80’s. There will be rad activities and snacks! Friday, July 28, 2-2:45 p.m., Teen Library.
- Magic: The Gathering at Teen: Magic: The Gathering enthusiasts in grades 6-12 can join us to play every Friday afternoon. Friday, July 28, 3-7 p.m., Teen Library.
Have a great week!