Eckhart Public Library staff is encouraging the public to visit the library and attend programs as the best way to help the library recover from its July 2 fire.
Services for teens and children are housed in the Teen Library, 705 S. Jackson St., with a computer lab and items geared toward adults in the Willennar Genealogy Center, 700 S. Jackson St. The library is building a browsing collection of books for children and adults, audiobooks, CDs, and DVDs, since many items are currently unusable due to the fire.
The library also will have a variety of programs during the week of July 17-22. Staff members are excited to see people come into the library and enjoy the space.
Other ways to help the library recover are to join the Friends of the Eckhart Public Library, with memberships starting at $10 per year; and to donate to the Eckhart Public Library Restoration Fund through the Community Foundation of DeKalb County. While the library was adequately insured, there will still be additional costs associated with the library’s renovation. Donations to the fund can be made in person at the Community Foundation of DeKalb County’s office at 700 S. Main St., or online at cfdekalb.org.
Here are programs happening during the week of July 17:
- Neon Flix Teen Movie Club: Neon Flix is a teen movie club that writes, directs, and acts in original films, short stories, and YouTube videos. New members are always welcome! Monday, July 17, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Auburn Parks & Recreation Summer Carnival: Library staff will be on hand at the Auburn Parks & Recreation Summer Carnival. There will be carnival games, face painting, balloon animals, crafts, and more. Tuesday, July 18, 10 a.m.-12 p.m., Eckhart Park.
- Pokemon Club: Pokemon enthusiasts are invited to bring their cards to the teen library every Tuesday and battle. Participants will go home with all their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Pokemon Club is free and no sign up is required. Tuesday, July 18, 12-2 p.m., Teen Library.
- Teen Gardening: Join us in the Not-So-Secret Garden to water, weed, and harvest fresh produce. We’ll take what we’ve grown and learn to create delicious homemade snacks! Tuesday, July 18, 3-4 p.m., Teen Library.
- Family Storytime: Bring a blanket and join us for family storytime! Family Storytime is designed to help children reach their full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills, and there will be fun for the whole family! Tuesday, July 18, 6:30-7:15 p.m., Teen Library.
- Family Storytime: Bring a blanket and join us for family storytime! Family Storytime is designed to help children reach their full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills, and there will be fun for the whole family! Wednesday, July 19, 10-11:30 a.m., Teen Library.
- Turn a Page with Anni Book Club: This book club will discuss “Two Family House” by Lynda Cohen Loigman. Wednesday, July 19, 12-1 p.m., call 926-2414 ext. 420 for location.
- Better Off Read Book Club: This book club will discuss “The Killer Angels” by Michael Shaara. Thursday, July 20, 10:30-11:30 a.m. and 6:30-7:30 p.m., Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings.
- Kids in the Kitchen: We are excited to explore the wonderful world of food and cooking! When we meet we will create a variety of dishes and enhance our cooking skills! Thursday, July 20, 1:30-3 p.m., Teen Library.
- Throwback Thursday: The Genealogy Staff will be joining the Teens every Thursday during the summer to see what new finds we have at the Genealogy Center, including pictures, Documents, and other interesting items. Thursday, July 20, 3:30-4:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Time Travelers: The Time Travelers History Club will meet to explore the totally tubular 1980s! We will look at DeKalb County and the national news in the 80’s. There will be rad activities and snacks! Friday, July 21, 1:30-3 p.m., Teen Library.
- Magic – The Gathering: Teens interested in playing Magic: The Gathering are welcome to join us to gather and play. If you’re new or if you are crazy about Magic, all are welcome! Feel free to bring your own deck, but The Teen Library has one as well. Friday, July 21, 3-7 p.m., Teen Library.