Eckhart Public Library is encouraging people to Build a Better World at Eckhart Summer Read.
The annual summer reading program is an opportunity for children, teens, and adults to participate in a wide variety of programs, classes, and events, and to earn the chance to win prizes by reading or researching at the Willennar Genealogy Center. All programs are free, and a library card is not required to attend. For more information about Eckhart Summer Read, visit epl.lib.in.us or speak with an Eckhart Public Library staff member.
Here’s what is happening during the week of June 26:
- Preschool Music and Movement: We will use movement to build our muscles, build rhythms and build friendships. Monday, June 26, 10:15-10:45 a.m., Close Community Room.
- Play & Connect Summer Construction Zone: Join us each week this summer in our Play & Connect Construction Zone. Eckhart Public Library’s Play & Connect times are designed for children to interact with each other and engage in age-appropriate activities while adults supervise and socialize. Schedule a play date with your regular circle or expand your social network. You are welcome to come and go any time. Monday, June 26, 11 a.m.-12 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Pizza & Paperbacks: Students entering 6th-12th grade are invited to enjoy a slice of pizza while listening to Lois Lowry’s 1994 Newbery winner “The Giver.” Monday, June 26, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- Build a Better World: Take the Challenge: Families are invited to stop by EPL and take our building challenge! Monday, June 26, 6-7:30 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Wee Reads – Build a Better World: This drop-in storytime is designed for children age birth to 2 years and their families. No registration required! Tuesday, June 27, 10:15-10:35 a.m., Secret Garden.
- Pokémon Club for Tweens/Teens: People in grades 6-12 are invited to bring their cards every week and battle. Players go home with all of their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Tuesday, June 27, 12-3 p.m., Teen Library.
- Books & Beyond Book Group: Call out to all children entering 3rd & 4th grade who want to have fun this summer! Come join EPL’s new book group. We will meet on Tuesday afternoons this summer to discuss great books. You won’t want to miss the action this summer—stop in to find out what we are all about. No registration required. Tuesday, June 27, 1-1:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Yak, Snack, & Read Book Group: Calling all children entering 5th grade who want to be part of something bigger—join our summer book group! You will have the opportunity to share with others what you like to read, as well as offer ideas and suggestions for our book group. This is no ordinary book group; join us whenever it meets your schedule! No registration required. Tuesday, June 27, 2:30-3:15 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Tween/Teen Gardening: People in grades 6-12 can join us to water plants, do someweeding, harvest produce, and create some snacks using fresh garden ingredients. Tuesday, June 27, 3-4 p.m., Teen Library.
- Family Storytime: Bring a blanket and join us on the library lawn for stories, activities, and fun! Family Storytime is designed to help your child reach his or her full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. Tuesday, June 27, 6:30-7:15 p.m., Library Park.
- Family Storytime: Bring a blanket and join us on the library lawn for stories, activities, and fun! Family Storytime is designed to help your child reach his or her full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. Wednesday, June 28, 10:15-11 a.m., Library Park.
- Meet a Librarian at the Park – Thomas Park: Meet a librarian at Thomas Park for stories, games, and building activities. Wednesday, June 28, 11 a.m.-12 p.m., Thomas Park, 720 N. Union St.
- Tweens/Teens with Tools: People in grades 6-12 can join us to build a variety of items to be used around the Eckhart Public Library campus. Wednesday, June 28, 12-1:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Eckhart Summer Read Family Programs – Ronald McDonald: Join us on Thursdays at 10:15 for our Eckhart Summer Read Family Programs. All ages are welcome. Shortly after the program, lunch will be served free for children and at a small cost for adults in partnership with the Summer Food Service Program. Thursday, June 29, 10:15-11 a.m., Library Park.
- Throwback Thursday: The Genealogy Staff will be joining the Teens every Thursday during the summer to see what new finds we have at the Genealogy Center. Pictures, documents, and other interesting items. Thursday, June 29, 3:30-4:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Art in Action: Children can join us this summer as we create artwork through the power of movement. We will stomp, walk, roll, and shake our way towards a masterpiece. Friday, June 30, 11 a.m.-12 p.m., Library Park.
- Time Travelers – The ’80s: We will continue to look at DeKalb County in the 1980s. We will look at what was in the news, have fun activities, and enjoy a snack. Friday, June 30, 2-2:45 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Magic: The Gathering at Teen: Magic: The Gathering enthusiasts in grades 6-12 can join us to play every Friday afternoon. Friday, June 30, 3-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Library Closed – Summer Maintenance and Independence Day: Eckhart Public Library will be closed for maintenance and to observe Independence Day on July 3-4. The library will reopen with regular hours on Wednesday, July 5.