Memorial Day is the traditional start of summer, and it’s also the beginning of Eckhart Summer Read.
Eckhart Public Library will be closed for the Memorial Day holiday from Saturday, May 27, through Monday, May 29, but that doesn’t mean that readers can’t get started on Eckhart Summer Read.
Friday, May 26, is the first day to register to participate in Eckhart Summer Read and pick up Eckhart Summer Read tally sheets, and all items read over the Memorial Day weekend count toward Eckhart Summer Read totals.
This year, children, teens, and adults will track the number of hours that they read, and each hour that a person reads earns them a ticket in a grand prize drawing. Once a week, participants can also pick up a prize book and community coupon. Grand prize drawings, prize books, and community coupons will be available beginning on Tuesday, May 30. People of all ages can also earn grand prize tickets for every hour of research at the Willennar Genealogy Center. Grand prizes will be drawn at the end of Eckhart Summer Read, which ends on July 15.
Grand prizes are:
· For children (birth to fifth grade): LEGO set, architecture kit, one-year family pass to the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo, a MEGA Blocks table and blocks, American Girl set, Kindle Fire tablet, and tool set and belt.
· For teens (sixth to twelfth grade): Guardians of the Galaxy LEGO set, Kindle Fire tablet, art set, movie and pizza gift card, and window garden with seeds.
· For adults: LEGO architecture set, Kindle Fire tablet, dinner and a movie, and Home Depot gift card.
· For genealogy researchers: 1980s time capsule, puzzle with mat, and Kindle Fire tablet.
In addition, everybody can vote once per day on a community prize to be purchased for the library. The community prize choices are a collapsible wagon to check out, a bicycle to check out, and an outdoor movie screen used to show movies in the Library Park.
We will celebrate the beginning of Eckhart Summer Read with an ice cream social on Friday, June 2, from 4:30-6:30 p.m. in the Library Park. There will be ice cream from Cranberry Cottage, fun ice cream-related activities, and an opportunity to get photos taken by Marcee from The Studio on Main Street. The photos will be printed on-site and can be taken home by participants.
A booklet of Eckhart Summer Read activities and information is available at all Eckhart Public Library campus locations.
Here’s what is happening during the first week of Eckhart Summer Read:
· Golden Girls Trivia Night: 2017 marks the 25th anniversary of the series finale of The Golden Girls. Help EPL celebrate the iconic series by demonstrating your knowledge of all things Golden Girls. Register in teams of up to four friends. The winning team will receive gift baskets including books, chocolate, and gift cards. Refreshments (including cheesecake) will be served. Tuesday, May 30, 6-7:30 p.m., Close Community Room.
· Eckhart Summer Read Family Programs – Indiana Wild: Join us on Thursdays at 10:15 for our Eckhart Summer Read Family Programs. All ages are welcome. Shortly after the program, lunch will be served free for children and at a small cost for adults in partnership with the Summer Food Service Program. Thursday, June 1, 10:15-11 a.m., Library Park.
· Kids in the Kitchen: During each hands-on session this summer we’ll explore the wonderful world of food and cooking. We will create and eat a variety of dishes. Thursday, June 1, 2-2:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
· Knifty Knitters – Knit a Better World: So many charitable organizations accept knitted donations. Learn how to give back by knitting. Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available. Thursday, June 1, 6-7:45 p.m., Main Library
· Magic: The Gathering at Teen: Magic: The Gathering enthusiasts in grades 6-12 can join us to play every Friday afternoon. Friday, June 2, 3-7 p.m., Teen Library.
· Ice Cream Social Kick Off: Kick off Eckhart Summer Read with our annual Ice Cream Social Kick-Off! Come enjoy tasty ice cream and toppings, participate in fun activities, and, of course, celebrate the beginning of Eckhart Summer Read! Friday, June 2, 4:30-6:30 p.m., Library Park.
· Play & Connect Summer Construction Zone: Join us each week this summer in our Play & Connect Construction Zone. Eckhart Public Library’s Play & Connect times are designed for children to interact with each other and engage in age-appropriate activities while adults supervise and socialize. Schedule a play date with your regular circle or expand your social network. You are welcome to come and go any time. Saturday, June 3, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Secret Garden.
· Book Walk: Eckhart Public Library’s Summer Read activities are building a better world. EPL librarians are again partnering with the Auburn Parks Department to offer a fun way for families to get out and enjoy their world. Starting June 3, Eckhart Park (located at the south end of Cedar Street) will host EPL’s second Book Walk! Laminated pages from Mac Barnett’s Telephone are displayed along the path. Each sign encourages readers to act out the story as they walk to the next page.