The 50th Annual Friends of the Eckhart Public Library Art Show, 7th Annual Teen Art Show, and 5th Annual Children’s Art Show opens to the public on Thursday, May 11, on the Eckhart Public Library campus.
The art show runs Thursday, May 11, through Friday, May 19. Art by adults and children will be on display at the Main Library, 603 S. Jackson St., during regular hours, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday; and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday. Art by teens will be on display at the Teen Library, 705 S. Jackson St., during regular hours, 3:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 3:30-7 p.m. Friday; and noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday.
A reception for artists will be Thursday, May 11, from 6:30-7:45 p.m., at the Main Library.
The mission of the Friends of the Eckhart Public Library Art Show is to encourage and support artists in DeKalb, Noble, Steuben, and LaGrange counties, in a not-for-profit exhibition. The goal is to provide a showcase where art created by amateur and professional artists can be displayed and judged in a non-juried format.
The Friends of the Eckhart Public Library is a nonprofit organization that supports and promotes library programs and services.
Here’s what else is happening around the library campus:
- Pizza & Paperbacks: In May we’ll begin our next book, “Ghost” by Jason Reynolds. Come enjoy pizza while listening to a National Book Award Finalist for Young People’s Literature. “Ghost wants to be the fastest sprinter on his elite middle school track team, but his past is slowing him down in this first electrifying novel of a brand-new series from Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe Award–winning author Jason Reynolds.” Monday, May 8, 5-5:45 p.m., Teen Library.
- Pokemon Club: Pokemon enthusiasts in grades 6-12 are invited to bring their cards to the teen library every Tuesday and battle. Participants will go home with all their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Pokemon club is free and no sign up is required. Tuesday, May 9, 4-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Wild Wednesday Adventure Clubs – Busy Builders: Let’s Build Together: Stop in the Secret Garden to build and create a town that will be displayed throughout the summer. We will have various boxes of all shapes and sizes to help you get started. Let’s work together to build a 100 cup structure. How long will it take, how many times will it fall over? Wednesday, May 10, 4-4:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- The History of ACRES with Kelly Shepherd: The ACRES presentations include stories and photographs from preserves throughout our region: Wildlife, wildflowers, land donor stories, scenic vistas, preserve histories, and more. Founded in 1960, ACRES preserves land forever. Wednesday, May 10, 6-7 p.m., Learning Lab.
- Friends of the Eckhart Public Library Annual Art Show: See art by local artists on display at the 50th Annual Art Show, 7th Annual Teen Art Show, and 5th Annual Children’s Art Show. Art is on display during regular building hours. Thursday, May 11-Friday, May 19.
- Super Happy Fun Time – STEAM Challenge: We’ll find out how strong spaghetti is by putting it to the test. Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, May 11, 4-4:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Friends of the Eckhart Public Library Annual Art Show Awards Reception: Local artists will be honored during this reception. Thursday, May 11, 6:30-7:45 p.m., Main Library.
- Family Game Night: Stop in for some game time at the library! This drop in family program is recommended for families with children ages 3 and older. Playing board games is shown to help children develop good character, problem solving and reasoning skills, sharing skills by taking turns, social skills, and language skills. Friday, May 12, 4-6 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Friday Night Magic – The Gathering: Come play Magic: The Gathering! Anyone in grades 6-12 is welcome, and no registration is required. Friday, May 12, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- Register now for Golden Girls Trivia Night: 2017 marks the 25th anniversary of the series finale of The Golden Girls. Help EPL celebrate the iconic series by demonstrating your knowledge of all things Golden Girls. Register in teams of up to four friends. The winning team will receive gift baskets including books, chocolate, and gift cards. Refreshments (including cheesecake) will be served. Register for Golden Girls Trivia Night no later than Monday, May 29, by calling 260-925-2414 ext. 120 or emailing email@example.com. Registration is free, though there will be a freewill donation benefiting The Friends of the Library. Tuesday, May 30, 6-7:30 p.m., Close Community Room.