This photo from the Willennar Genealogy Center collection shows Dr. Bonnell Souder driving around Auburn. Dr. Souder was a well-known physician in Auburn. She and her father, Dr. Ulysses Grant Souder, founded Souder Hospital, which was a pioneer in using X-ray equipment and also featured one of the first fully equipped surgeries in the state. Dr. Bonnell Souder was a pioneer in maternity healthcare, and because of her efforts, Souder Hospital became the first in northern Indiana to offer maternity care. Dr. Souder will be one of the women featured during the monthly Time Travelers meeting for elementary-aged children on Wednesday, March 1 – the first day of Women’s History Month.
Time Travelers, part of our Wild Wednesday Adventure Clubs for children in first through fifth grades, will also learn about Dr. Lida Leasure, the Women of the Library, and artist Pat Delagrange. They will also paint their own paintings.
Time Travelers meets from 4-4:45 p.m. The meeting will start at the Learning Lab at the Willennar Genealogy Center, 700 S. Jackson St., and will end in the Secret Garden at the Main Library, 603 S. Jackson St.
Here’s what’s happening around the library campus during the week of February 27:
- Play & Connect: Eckhart Public Library’s Play & Connect times are designed for children to interact with each other and engage in age appropriate activities while adults supervise and socialize. Schedule a play date with your regular circle or expand your social network. Activities are designed for all families and caregivers with children ages 5 and younger. You are welcome to come and go any time. Monday, February 27, 10 a.m. to noon, Secret Garden.
- Pokemon Club for Teens: Pokemon enthusiasts in grades 6-12 are invited to bring their cards to the Teen Library every Friday from 4-5 p.m. and battle. Participants will go home with all their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Pokemon Club is free and no sign up is required. Tuesday, February 28, 4-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Bridge-O-Rama: Learn to play Bridge for free! Participate in a series of lessons followed by playing Bridge Space is limited so contact Leslie Hamman at 925-9357 or by email at email@example.com to register. This program is a partnership with the Auburn Associate Tri Kappa through their Bridge-A-Rama program. Tuesday, February 28, 6-8 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Drop-In Storytime Enrichment Classes: Storytime Enrichment Classes are a fantastic opportunity for children to access a world of creativity and discovery. Eckhart Public Library is proud to offer Storytime Enrichment Classes free of charge for the children and families in our community. Storytime Enrichment Classes are designed to help your child reach his or her full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. Our Preschool Storytime is designed for children ages 2-6 and their families. A library card is not needed to attend these classes. Registration is not required. Tuesday, February 28, 6:30-7:15 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Wild Wednesday Adventure Club – Time Travelers: Time Travelers will be celebrating Women’s History Month during our March meeting. We will be learning about Dr. Lida Leasure, Dr. Bonnell Souder, the Women of the Library, and Artist Pat Delagrange. We will be doing some paintings too! This program will start at the Genealogy Center Learning Lab and end at the Children’s Department in the Secret Garden. Wednesday, March 1, 4-4:45 p.m., Learning Lab and Secret Garden.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers, no matter what genre, are encouraged to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. This group is for adults 18 and above. Wednesday, March 1, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available from this group. Thursday, March 2, 6-7:45 p.m., Main Library.
- Drop-In Storytime Enrichment Class: EPL Storytime Enrichment Classes are a fantastic opportunity for children to access a world of creativity and discovery. Storytime Enrichment Classes are designed to help your child reach his or her full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. Our Preschool Storytime is designed for children ages 2 – 6 and their families. It’s free to attend and a library card is not needed. Friday, March 3, 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Friday Night Magic: Teens who are fans of Magic: The Gathering can come play each Friday evening. Friday, March 3, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.