A local aviator will be the star of a play being read at Eckhart Public Library.
The Willennar Genealogy Center has put together a reading of “The Smash-Up Kid” by Rachel Roberts on Thursday, October 27, at 6 p.m. in the Close Community Room at the Main Library, 603 S. Jackson St.
The play tells the story of local aviator Art Smith, known as Indiana’s Bird Boy, and his efforts in the local aviation field.
The reading of the play is a Bicentennial Legacy Project.
Here’s what else is happening at Eckhart Public Library this week:
- Teen Photography Club: Teens in sixth through twelfth grades are invited to join this social group, which promotes sharing photography experiences, ideas, knowledge, and most of all, fun! We will discuss a multitude of topics along with assigning weekly photography challenges. In addition to our regular club meetings, we will showcase members’ photographs in the lower level of the Teen Library. Monday, October 24, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- Bridge: Learn to play Bridge for free! This is a great series for anyone interested in learning and playing Bridge. We will meet on the second and fourth Tuesdays. Space is limited. Those interested should contact Leslie Hamman at 260-925-9357 or by email at email@example.com. Tuesday, October 25, 6-8 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Drop-In Storytime Enrichment Class: EPL Storytime Enrichment Classes are a fantastic opportunity for children to access a world of creativity and discovery. Storytime Enrichment Classes are designed to help your child age 2-6 reach his or her full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. Tuesday, October 25, 6:30-7:15 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Wild Wednesday Adventure Clubs – Movie Makers: Students in first through fifth grade are invited to bring their imaginations and star in their very own movie! Wednesday, October 26, 4-4:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers 18 and older, no matter what genre, are encouraged to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. Wednesday, October 26, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Super Happy Fun Time – Game On!: We will play a variety of fall games like: spider races, mummy races, Halloween charades and more. Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, October 27, 4-4:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- The Smash-Up Kid: The Willennar Genealogy Center presents a reading of Rachel Robert’s play “The Smash-Up Kid.” It is a story of local aviator Art Smith, Indiana’s Bird Boy, and his efforts in the local aviation field. This performance is a Bicentennial Legacy Project. Thursday, October 27, 6 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Drop-In Storytime Enrichment Class: EPL Storytime Enrichment Classes are a fantastic opportunity for children to access a world of creativity and discovery. Storytime Enrichment Classes are designed to help your child age 2-6 reach his or her full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. Friday, October 28, 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Teen Game Night: The last Friday of every month is Game Day at the Teen Library! Bring a friend, and enjoy some video games or board games of your choice! Friday, October 28, 4-6:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Pokemon Club for Teens: Pokemon enthusiasts in grades 6 – 12 are invited to bring their cards to the Teen Library and battle. Participants will go home with all their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Pokemon club is free and no sign up is required. Friday, October 28, 4-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Friday Night Magic – the Gathering: TheTeen Library will host a time for Magic card game fans to come play. Anyone in grades 6 -12 is welcome, and no registration is required. Friday, October 28, 5-6 p.m. Teen Library.
- Play & Connect: Play & Connect is designed for children to interact with each other and engage in age appropriate activities while adults supervise and socialize. Schedule a play date with your regular circle or expand your social network. Activities are designed for all families and caregivers with children ages 5 and younger. Play & Connect is free and meets in the Secret Garden. You are welcome to come and go any time. Saturday, October 29, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Eckhart After Dark – The Texas Chain Saw Massacre: Who will survive and what will be left of them? Join us for a screening of Tobe Hooper’s 1974 horror film “The Texas Chain Saw Massacre” followed by a discussion of this genre-defining classic. Popcorn and drinks will be served. This event is free and open to the public, though it is recommended for adults and older teens. For more information about the content of this film, visit Common Sense Media’s entry for this title at: https://goo.gl/19qL00. Saturday, October 29, 8 p.m., Close Community Room.