Our wonderful Friends of the Eckhart Public Library are holding their October Book Sale – the last sale of 2016 – this week! (The picture above shows some of our wonderful Friends board members.) This is a great opportunity to pick up some reading material for the winter, or maybe even get a start on Christmas shopping for the voracious reader in your life.
The sale begins on Wednesday, October 19, from 4-7 p.m., with a preview night for Friends of the Eckhart Public Library members. Memberships begin at $10 and are available at the sale.
The book sale will continue on Thursday, October 20, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Friday, October 21, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Saturday, October 22, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. On Saturday, books will cost $2 per plastic grocery-style bag.
The Friends of Eckhart Public Library, Inc., is a non-profit organization whose enthusiastic support makes many special library programs possible. They are dedicated to making significant contributions to the steady growth of the library and its services to the community. Funds from the book sale support programs, services, and collections at Eckhart Public Library.
Here’s the full schedule of what’s happening around the library campus this week:
- Neon Readers Teen Book Club: We will talk about the books we are currently reading and then work on our movie project. Monday, October 17, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Drop-In Storytime Enrichment Class: EPL Storytime Enrichment Classes are a fantastic opportunity for children to access a world of creativity and discovery. Storytime Enrichment Classes are designed to help your child age 2-6 reach his or her full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. Tuesday, October 18, 6:30-7:15 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Friends of the Eckhart Public Library Book Sale: The Friends of the Eckhart Public Library will hold its annual October Book Sale on October 19-22. The book sale will be Wednesday from 4-7 p.m. for Friends of the Eckhart Public Library members only, with memberships available at the door; Thursday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with most books $2 per plastic grocery bag.
- Turn a Page With Anni Book Club: This adult book club will read and discuss “Home Front” by Kristin Hannah. Wednesday, October 19, noon, Close Community Room.
- Wild Wednesday Adventure Clubs – Pokemon Battle Zone: Do you love Pokemon? Bring your cards and battle other enthusiasts! Participants go home with all their cards. Trading is not encouraged. Wild Wednesday Adventure Clubs are for children in first through fifth grades. Wednesday, October 19, 4-4:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- The Auburn Automobile Administration and Engineering Building – The Story Behind the Landmark with John Bill: Follow the story of this historic building—and its assorted owners—from its time with the Auburn Automobile Company up to the present day. Jon Bill is the Curator at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum. A graduate of Purdue University, he majored in Industrial Education. Jon taught Technology Education for 34 years before joining the museum staff in June of 2001. He has a lifelong interest in automobiles and industry, and is the author of four books on Auburns, Cords and Duesenbergs for the Iconografix Photo Archive Series. Jon is also a member of the Society of Automotive Historians, the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club and the Antique Automobile Club of America. He resides in Auburn, Indiana, and owns a 1936 Auburn sedan. Wednesday, October 19, 6-7 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Better Off Read Book Club: This adult book club will read and discuss “Rebecca” by Daphne du Maurier. Thursday, October 20, 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings.
- Super Happy Fun Time – Creativity and Cookies: We will use the power of the wind to create spooky trees. We will also create bats using recycled materials. Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, October 20, 4-4:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available from this group. Thursday, October 20, 6:30-8 p.m., Main Library.
- Drop-In Storytime Enrichment Class: EPL Storytime Enrichment Classes are a fantastic opportunity for children to access a world of creativity and discovery. Storytime Enrichment Classes are designed to help your child age 2-6 reach his or her full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. Friday, October 21, 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Pokemon Club for Teens: Pokemon enthusiasts in grades 6 – 12 are invited to bring their cards to the Teen Library and battle. Participants will go home with all their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Pokemon club is free and no sign up is required. Friday, October 21, 4-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Friday Night Magic – the Gathering: The Teen Library will host a time for Magic card game fans to come play. Anyone in grades 6 -12 is welcome, and no registration is required. Friday, October 21, 5-6 p.m. Teen Library.