Children work on their time machine at Time Travelers on Wednesday, September 7. Time Travelers meets monthly as part of the library’s Wild Wednesday Adventure Clubs on Wednesdays at 4 p.m.
We’re continuing “The Skeptic’s Guide to American History” series on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the Willennar Genealogy Center. This week’s topic is “Neither American Nor Revolutionary.”
The series looks at American history and the long-accepted beliefs about past events in the nation. The class includes a video lecture by Dr. Mark Stoler, who holds a Ph.D. in History from the University of Wisconsin, and is Professor Emeritus of History at the University of Vermont. He is an expert in U.S. foreign relations and military history. We’ll have a discussion after the video.
Here is what else is happening around the Eckhart Public Library campus this week:
- Photography Club for Teens: This social group for youth in sixth through twelfth grades promotes sharing photography experiences, ideas, knowledge, and most of all, fun! We will discuss a multitude of topics along with assigning weekly photography challenges. In addition to our regular club meetings on the second and fourth Mondays of the month, we will showcase members’ photographs in the lower level of the Teen Library. Monday, September 12, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- Color Café for Adults: Adults are invited to unwind and de-stress with coloring and soothing refreshments. Monday, September 12, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Main Library.
- Storytime Enrichment Class: Storytime Enrichment Class is a fantastic opportunity for children to access a world of creativity and discovery through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. No registration is required for this class. Tuesday, September 13, 6:30-7:15 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers 18 and older, no matter the genre, are encouraged to attend. Group members share writing and participate in writing exercises. Tuesday, September 13, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Wild Wednesday Adventure Clubs – Busy Builders: Make something fantastic from your imagination with blocks of all kinds! Build bridges, towers, or even a whole city! The possibilities are endless! Wild Wednesday Adventure Clubs are for children in first through fifth grades. Wednesday, September 14, 4-4:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- The Skeptic’s Guide to American History – Neither American Nor Revolutionary: Come to the Genealogy Center for a look at our American history and the long accepted beliefs about the past events of this nation. We will view a video lecture by Dr. Mark Stoler, who holds a Ph.D. in History from the University of Wisconsin, and is Professor Emeritus of History at the University of Vermont. He is an expert in U.S. foreign relations and military history. A discussion will follow each video. Wednesday, September 14, 6 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Better Off Read Book Club: This book club will be discussing “Go Set a Watchman” by Harper Lee. Pick up a copy of the book at the Information Desk. Thursday, September 15, 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings.
- Super Happy Fun Time – Creativity and Cookies: We will use a variety of materials to create our entries for the DeKalb Free Fall Fair.Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, September 15, 4-4:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available from this group! Thursday, September 15, 6-7:45 p.m., Main Library.
- Storytime Enrichment Class: Storytime Enrichment Class is a fantastic opportunity for children to access a world of creativity and discovery through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. No registration is required for this class. Friday, September 16, 11:45-12:30, Secret Garden.
- Pokemon Club: Pokemon enthusiasts in grades 6-12 are invited to bring their cards to the Teen Library every Friday and battle. Participants will go home with all their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Pokemon club is free and no signup required. Friday, September 16, 4-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Friday Magic: The Teen Library invites fans of Magic: The Gathering to play on Friday nights. No registration is required. Friday, September 16, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- Preschool Music & Movement: This fun monthly program for preschoolers lets us warm up our muscles, get some wiggles out, and explore different rhythms. Parents are welcome to join in the fun! No registration is required. Saturday, September 17th 10:15-10:45 a.m., Secret Garden.