It’s Labor Day week, and the Willennar Genealogy Center: A Service of Eckhart Public Library has a great ACD-themed open house planned!
The open house on Friday, September 2, will allow people to see some of the items being digitized by the Eckhart Public Library from the Jack Randinelli Collection and the John Martin Smith Collection. The open house, at the Willennar Genealogy Center at 700 S. Jackson St., will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with a short program at noon.
The Randinelli Collection is the focus of a project called “All Things Auburn, Cord, and Duesenberg: The Early Years,” which explores the foundational years of four major ACD organizations and events – the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club, the ACD Festival, the ACD Museum, and the ACD Hoosier Car Tour. The collection, which is on loan by Randinelli’s daughter Kari Randinelli Ackerman, contains several decades’ worth of behind-the- scenes history by way of letters, meeting minutes, photographs, financial records and other items.
The Smith Collection includes items of local, state and national importance, including many items relating to Auburn’s automotive history. The collection is on loan by the Smith family. Digitization of these collections is made possible by grants from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Indiana State Library.
Also for Labor Day weekend, the Friends of the Eckhart Public Library will be hosting a Classic Collection Sale on Thursday, September 1, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Friday, September 2, from 9 a.m. to noon. The sale will feature a variety of like-new, unique, and collectible items. One such item is a dark blue 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL with only 49,500 miles on it. A number of designer shoes have also been donated to the sale as well. In addition to other items, there will also be a variety of books available for purchase.
In observance of Labor Day, the library campus buildings will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, September 2, in observance of Labor Day, and will remain closed Saturday, September 3, through Monday, September 5. The campus buildings will reopen on Tuesday, September 6, with regular hours. The Teen Library will not open on Friday, September 2.
Here’s what else is happening at the library this week:
- Register for Storytime: Eckhart Public Library Storytime Enrichment Classes are a fantastic opportunity for children to access a world of creativity and discovery. Eckhart Public Library is proud to offer Storytime Enrichment Classes free of charge for the children and families in our community. Storytime Enrichment Classes are designed to help your child reach his or her full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. Eckhart Public Library offers Wee Reads storytimes for children from birth to age 2 and their families on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. Registration is required. Preschool Storytime Enrichment classes are designed for children 2-6 years old. Registration is required for storytimes on Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning, Thursday evening, and Friday morning. Register for Storytime Enrichment Classes by calling 925-2414 ext. 320 or emailing email@example.com. Eckhart Public Library also offers drop-in storytimes which require no registration on Tuesdays from 6:30-7:15 p.m. and Friday from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Read a Romance Month Craft Night and Discussion: Celebrate Read a Romance Month with romance novel cover crafts and book discussion. Make crafts with old-school romance covers while we discuss our favorite romance novels and love stories. There will be materials for crafts, or bring your own materials to make a variety of romance novel cover items. Tuesday, August 30, 6:30-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Super Happy Fun Time – Kids in the Kitchen: We will create our own frozen lemonade drinks. Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, September 1, 4-4:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available from this group! Thursday, September 1, 6-7:45 p.m., Main Library.
- Jack Randinelli and John Martin Smith Collections Open House: Come see some of the items being digitized by the Eckhart Public Library from the Jack Randinelli Collection and the John Martin Smith Collection. Digitization of these collections is made possible by grants from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Indiana State Library. Friday, September 2, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with a short program at noon, Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Labor Day Holiday: Eckhart Public Library campus buildings will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, September 2, and be closed Saturday, September 3, through Monday, September 5. The library campus will reopen on Tuesday, September 6, with regular hours. Please note that the Teen Library will be closed on Friday, September 2.