The Willennar Genealogy Center: A Service of Eckhart Public Library is going to hold two classes this week to help you learn to research your family history!
On Wednesday, August 24, at 6 p.m., staff will present Genealogy 101 – Introduction & First Steps. This class will give you the basics of getting started researching their family history, including interviewing relatives and gathering data.
On Saturday, August 27, at 2 p.m., you can learn about the genealogy and family history information that can be found in military records and homestead files. This is part of a video series called “Discovering Your Roots” by Dr. John Phillip Colletta.
Both classes will be in the Learning Lab at the Willennar Genealogy Center, 700 S. Jackson St. For more information, call 925-2414 ext. 420 or email email@example.com.
Here’s what else is happening this week:
- Register for Storytime Enrichment Classes: The Children’s Department is currently registering children from Storytime Enrichment Classes. Speak with the Children’s Department staff, call 925-2414 ext. 320, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers 18 and older, no matter the genre, are encouraged to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. Tuesday, August 23, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Genealogy 101 – Introduction & First Steps: Learn the basics of getting started researching your family history with the Genealogy staff. We will be looking at interviewing relatives and gathering data. Wednesday, August 24, 6-7 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Super Happy Fun Time – Game On!: We will play Summer Olympics-themed games and see who will be crowned the winners. Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, August 25, 4-4:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Tabletop Game Night: Come play tabletop games! Bring your favorite board game, card game, or other tabletop game, or join in a game with fellow gamers. Thursday, August 25, 6-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Teen Game Day: Bring a friend to the Teen Library and enjoy some video games or board games of your choice! Friday, August 26, 3:30-6:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Pokemon Club: Pokemon enthusiasts in grades 6-12 are invited to bring their cards to the teen library every Friday and battle. Participants will go home with all their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Pokemon Club is free and no signup required. Friday, August 26, 4-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Friday Magic: Magic: The Gathering players in grades 6-12 are invited to play. Friday Magic is free and no signup is required. Friday, August 26, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- Military Service and Homestead Records: This is a lecture from the video series with Professor John Phillip Colletta, Discovering Your Roots. Two types of records will be discussed in this video: military records and homestead files. Saturday, August 27, 2-3 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.