Eckhart Public Library became a member of Evergreen Indiana on August 1. Have you registered for your new Evergreen Indiana card yet? If not, what are you waiting for? Once you have your card, you will have access to 110 libraries and 7 million items from around the state.
Eckhart Public Library will hold information sessions about the Evergreen Indiana system on Monday, August 15. The sessions will be at 11 a.m. in the Close Community Room and 6 p.m. in the Board Room at the Main Library.
Current Eckhart Public Library cardholders must register for their new Evergreen cards. There is no additional charge for those who live in the Eckhart Public Library service area of the City of Auburn and Union township, or to those who live outside the service area and have a current subscription card. Those registering for an Evergreen Indiana card must bring a valid photo ID with a current address. If the photo ID does not have the correct address, the person registering must bring an additional form of identification with a current address, such as a valid voter registration card, recent bank statement, recent utility bill, or tax receipt.
Here’s what else is happening at Eckhart Public Library:
- Read a Romance Month: August is Read a Romance Month! For every romance novel you check out from Eckhart Public Library and read during the month of August, enter a drawing to win a Read a Romance Month prize pack! We will have a display of romance novels to get you started. We will also have a weekly Romance Cover Caption Contest on Facebook and Instagram. Weekly winners will receive a copy of the book and a chocolate bar.
- Evergreen Information Session: Learn about Evergreen Indiana and have your questions about this new system answered! Monday, August 16, 11 a.m., Close Community Room.
- Neon Readers Teen Book Club: We will talk about the books we are currently reading and then work on our movie project. Monday, August 15, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Evergreen Information Session: Learn about Evergreen Indiana and have your questions about this new system answered! Monday, August 16, 6 p.m., Board Room.
- Turn a Page with Anni Book Club: This book club will read and discuss “Deep End” by Julie Mulhern. Pick up a copy at the Information Desk. Wednesday, August 17, noon to 1 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Ancestry, Fold3, and Other Online Sources: Join the Genealogy staff as we explore the different websites available to research your family history. You may find some of your family along the way! Wednesday, August 17, 6-7 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Better Off Read Book Club: This book club will read and discuss “Destiny of the Republic” by Candice Millard. Pick up a copy at the Information Desk. Thursday, August 18, 10:30 a.m. or 6:30 p.m., Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings.
- Super Happy Fun Time – Creativity and Cookies: We will use old newspapers, books, and paint to create cityscapes. There will also be cookies for all of the hardworking artists. Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, August 18, 4-4:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available from this group. Thursday, August 18, 6-7:45 p.m., Main Library.
- Pokemon Club: Pokemon enthusiasts in grades 6-12 are invited to bring their cards to the teen library every Friday and battle. Participants will go home with all their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Pokemon Club is free and no signup required. Friday, August 19, 4-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Friday Magic: Magic: The Gathering players in grades 6-12 are invited to play. Friday Magic is free and no signup is required. Friday, August 19, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- “Love Between the Covers” Film Screening & Director Skype: Romance fans and women’s history enthusiasts do not want to miss this screening of Love Between the Covers followed by a Skype with director Laurie Kahn. About the film: “Love stories are universal. Love stories are powerful. And so are the women who write them. For three years, the filmmakers follow the lives of five published romance authors and one unpublished newbie as they build their businesses, find and lose loved ones, cope with a tsunami of change in publishing, and earn a living doing what they love—while empowering others to do the same. Romance is the behemoth of the publishing industry; it outsells mystery, sci-fi, and fantasy combined. Yet no filmmaker has ever taken an honest look at the amazing global community that romance writers and readers have built. Until now.” Find out more about the movie at lovebetweenthecovers.com. Refreshments will be served. Register by calling 925-2414 ext. 120 or emailing email@example.com. Saturday, August 20, 1-4:30 p.m., Close Community Room.