Eckhart Public Library is On the Move this summer! In addition to a lot of great things happening on the library campus, we also have a lot of fun things happening off-campus this week!
Library staff will be at Strawberries in the Park, sponsored by the Auburn Garden Club, on Wednesday, June 15. Staff will provide information about the library and Eckhart Summer Read, the library’s summer reading initiative, and will host storytimes at 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
Also on Wednesday, library staff will visit Don Lash Park, 2005 Portage Pass, at 11 a.m. for stories, games, and activities.
In addition, children in first through sixth grade are invited to join the Time Travelers for a tour of the DeKalb County Courthouse with Jeff Turner and library staff on Wednesday, June 15, at 1 p.m. No registration is required; meet on the first floor of the courthouse by the quilt display.
On Saturday, June 18, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Eckhart on the Move Walking Club will walk on the Auburn-Waterloo Bikeway. Meet at the beginning of the trail in Auburn. Walks are open to people of all ages, but children younger than 10 must have an adult caregiver with them.
All summer, the library’s Book Walk will be at Eckhart Park on South Cedar Street. Take a stroll and act out the story presented on signs around the park. See some pictures from our Book Walk, and other Eckhart Summer Read fun, at our Facebook page.
See the full Eckhart Summer Read schedule by clicking here.
Here’s what else is happening at Eckhart Public Library this week. Please note that some activities scheduled for the Library Park may be moved to other places around the library campus due to work on the library fountain.
- Summer Storytime on the Library Lawn – Sports, Sports, and More Sports!: Bring a blanket and join us on the library lawn for storytime this summer. Monday, June 13, 11 a.m., Library Park.
- Color Café: De-stress with coloring and soothing refreshments. Monday, June 13, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Main Library.
- Preschool Music and Movement: At this preschool-targeted program, we will warm up our muscles, get some wiggles out, explore different rhythms, and have lots of fun! Registration is required. Tuesday, June 14, 11-11:45 a.m., Secret Garden.*
- Get out and Grow: Stop by the teen library this summer to help out with the Not-So-Secret Garden. Adopt a vegetable/fruit or a row of vegetables/fruit to take care of. Sign up to water the plants each week from the rain in the rain barrels. We will create delicious snacks out of the fruits and vegetables as they ripen all summer long. Tuesday, June 14, 1-2 p.m., Teen Library.
- Creative Writing Group: Group members share writing and participate in writing exercises. All writers 18 and older, no matter what genre, are encouraged to attend. Tuesday, June 14, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Summer Storytime on the Library Lawn – Sports, Sports, and More Sports!: Bring a blanket and join us on the library lawn for storytime this summer. Tuesday, June 14, 6:30 p.m., Library Park.
- Strawberries in the Park: Sponsored by the Auburn Garden Club, the annual event will be held on Wednesday, June 15, in downtown Auburn. The day features delicious homemade strawberry shortcakes, children’s activities, clowns, music, and community fun. Eckhart Public Library staff will be there to provide information about the library and host two storytimes (at 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.). Wednesday, June 15, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Downtown Auburn.
- Meet Us At The Park—Don Lash Park: Meet a librarian at a neighborhood park for stories, games, and activities this summer! Wednesday, June 15, 11 a.m., Don Lash Park, 2005 Portage Pass.
- Turn a Page With Anni: This book club will be reading and discussing “Francesca’s Kitchen” by Peter Pezzelli. Pick up a copy of the book at the Information Desk. Wednesday, June 15, noon to 1 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Time Travelers – Courthouse Tour: Children in first through sixth grade are invited to join the Time Travelers for a tour of the DeKalb County Courthouse with Jeff Turner and library staff. Meet on the first floor of the courthouse by the quilt display. No registration required. Wednesday, June 15, 1 p.m., DeKalb County Courthouse.
- Family Program – Juggling with Mr. Jim: Join us for juggling! All ages are welcome. In case of inclement weather, we will meet at the Presbyterian Church. Thursday, June 16, 10:15-11 a.m., Library Park.
- Lunch in the Park: In partnership with DeKalb Central schools, lunch will be served through the Food Service Summer Program. Lunch is free for children 1-18. Thursday, June 16, 11:30-12:15, Library Park.
- March-A-Thon: The DeKalb High School Baron Brigade marching band will stop at Eckhart Public Library during their annual March-A-Thon. Come support this great group of local teens! Thursday, June 16, 3:30 p.m., East Side of Eckhart Public Library.
- Better Off Read Book Club: This book club will be reading and discussing “Shades of Milk and Honey” by Mary Robinette Kowal. Pick up a copy of the book at the Information Desk. Thursday, June 16, 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available from this group! Thursday, June 16, 6-7:45 p.m., Main Library.
- Art in Action: Children of all ages up to fifth grade can create artwork through the power of movement. We will stomp, walk, roll, and shake our way toward a masterpiece! Children younger than seven must be accompanied by a caregiver. If weather is bad, we will meet in the Secret Garden. Friday, June 17, 11 a.m. to noon, Library Park.
- Pokemon Club: Pokemon enthusiasts in grades 6-12 are invited to bring their cards to the teen library every Friday and battle. Participants will go home with all their cards, as trading is not encouraged. Pokemon club is free and no signup required. Friday, June 17, 1-2 p.m., Teen Library.
- Friday Magic: The Teen Library will host a time for Magic card game fans to come play. Friday, June 17, 2-3 p.m., Teen Library.
- Eckhart on the Move Walking Club – Auburn-Waterloo Bikeway: Spend a Saturday morning walking with a librarian! Meet at a different location to enjoy DeKalb County Trails. The walks are open to all ages, but children younger than 10 must have an adult caregiver with them. Meet at the beginning of the trail in Auburn. Saturday, June 18, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Auburn-Waterloo Bikeway.