Eckhart Public Library is On the Move this summer during Eckhart Summer Read! Even Charles Eckhart himself has been on the move – the picture above shows him at Eckhart Park, another one of the places in Auburn that he helped build.
Eckhart Public Library will have a presence at Eckhart Park this summer; we have set up a Book Walk at the park. You can take a stroll while reading a book with pages on signs along a path.
That’s not the only place we’ll be this week, either! Library staff will be at Rieke Park on Wednesday, June 8, at 11 a.m., for stories, games, and activities. Meet us at a different park each week! And, the library will also host a Walking Club this summer, and will meet on North Van Buren Street to walk on Rieke Park Trail on Saturday, June 11, at 10 a.m.
To see a full list of Eckhart Summer Read activities, click here or pick up a booklet on the Eckhart Public Library Campus.
Here is what is happening this week around the library campus:
- Summer Storytime on the Library Lawn – Motion & Commotion: Bring a blanket and join us on the library lawn for storytime this summer. Monday, June 6, 11 a.m., Library Park.
- Neon Readers Teen Book Club: We’ll read fun books and talk about them all summer long. We’ll also work on our new movie project. Monday, June 6, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Preschool Music and Movement: At this preschool-targeted program, we will warm up our muscles, get some wiggles out, explore different rhythms, and have lots of fun! Registration is required. Tuesday, June 7, 11-11:45 a.m., Secret Garden.
- 3-D Styrofoam Sculpture: 3D Styrofoam Sculpture with Heather Miller is sponsored by the Auburn Arts Commission in celebration with Sculptures on the Square. This sculpting experience is limited to 20. Interested students in K-6 can register by calling 260-925-2414 ext. 320 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Tuesday, June 7, 1-2 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Get out and Grow: Stop by the teen library this summer to help out with the Not-So-Secret Garden. Adopt a vegetable/fruit or a row of vegetables/fruit to take care of. Sign up to water the plants each week from the rain in the rain barrels. We will create delicious snacks out of the fruits and vegetables as they ripen all summer long. Tuesday, June 7, 1-2 p.m., Teen Library.
- Summer Storytime on the Library Lawn – Motion & Commotion: Bring a blanket and join us on the library lawn for storytime this summer. Tuesday, June 7, 6:30 p.m., Library Park.
- Meet Us At The Park—Rieke Park: Meet a librarian at a neighborhood park for stories, games, and activities this summer! Wednesday, June 8, 11 a.m., Rieke Park, 1800 N. Indiana Avenue.
- Family Program – Jump-Roping with the Turtle Town Jumpers: Join us for fun with the Turtle Town Jumpers! All ages are welcome. In case of inclement weather, we will meet at the Presbyterian Church. Thursday, June 9, 10:15-11 a.m., Library Park.
- Lunch in the Park: In partnership with DeKalb Central schools, lunch will be served through the Food Service Summer Program. Lunch is free for children 1-18. Thursday, June 9 11:30-12:15, Library Park.
- Throwback Thursday – Sweatin’ to the Oldies: Crank up the jukebox and dig out the sweatbands, we’re sweating to the oldies! Thursday, June 9, 1:30-3 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Art in Action: Children of all ages up to fifth grade can create artwork through the power of movement. We will stomp, walk, roll, and shake our way toward a masterpiece! Children younger than seven must be accompanied by a caregiver. If weather is bad, we will meet in the Secret Garden. Friday, June 10, 11 a.m. to noon, Library Park.
- Family Game Night: Stop in for some game time at the library! This drop-in family program is recommended for families with children ages three and older. Children over age seven through fifth grade would be welcome with or without an adult, but children under age seven would need to be accompanied by a caregiver. Friday, June 10, 4-6 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Retro Game Night: Relive the best side-scrolling, 8-Bit games the 80s and 90s had to offer. Different NES games will be available, but feel free to bring your own to play! Friday, June 10, 7-8:30 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Eckhart on the Move Walking Club – Rieke Park Trail: Spend a Saturday morning walking with a librarian! Meet at a different location to enjoy DeKalb County Trails. The walks are open to all ages, but children younger than 10 must have an adult caregiver with them. Meet at the entrance to Rieke Park Trail on North Van Buren Street. Saturday, June 11, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Rieke Park Trail.
- Your Ancestors in the County Courthouse: Were your ancestors involved in lawsuits? Did they own land, have a will, get a marriage license, or register a cattle brand? Find out how to discover answers to these questions in the ninth video lecture with Professor John Phillip Colletta. Register by calling 925-2414 ext. 420 or emailing email@example.com. Saturday, June 11, 2-3 p.m. Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.