The weather hasn’t seemed very spring-like, but at Eckhart Public Library, we have March Madness and tournaments beginning this week!
Eckhart Public Library March Madness takes place at the Main Library, and allows people to vote for their favorite fiction and nonfiction book of the previous year. People can vote in person or online. People can vote once a round in one or both categories, in person or online. Round One is March 7-13; Round Two is March 14-20; Round Three is March 21-27; and Round Four is March 28-April 3. All votes must be in by midnight, April 3. Voters will have a chance to win a $25 gift card to Barnes & Noble.
Eckhart Public Library will also have a Tournament of Kid’s Books and a Tournament of Teen Books. Round One (8 matchups) is March 7–12; Round Two (4 matchups) is March 14–19; Round Three (2 matchups) is March 21–26; and Round Four (Final two books face off) is March 28–31. People may vote once each round. After each round the winning books will be a tallied and the next round’s picks sheet will be available in the Children’s Department, for the Tournament of Kid’s Books, and the Teen Library, for the Tournament of Teen Books. Each round enters voters into the drawing to be the winner, for a total of four possible entries per voter. All ages can vote, but only children in fifth grade and younger are eligible to win the drawing for the Tournament of Kid’s Books, and only children in sixth through twelfth grade are eligible to win the drawing for the Tournament of Teen Books. The winner in each tournament will receive the winning book.
Here’s what else is happening around Eckhart Public Library this week:
- Neon Readers Teen Book Club: We will discuss the books we are all currently reading and then we will discuss what we want our next project to be. Monday, March 7, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers 18 and older, no matter what genre, are encouraged to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. Tuesday, March 8, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- LEGO Club: Join us for LEGO fun! We will have a challenge and time for free building. LEGO Club is for children in first through fifth grades. Wednesday, March 9, 4-5 p.m., Children’s Department.
- PBS 39 Going Home – DeKalb County: PBS 39 Going Home – DeKalb County is a video presentation that looks at the history of DeKalb County. This video features John Martin Smith, Seckler’s Pickles, The Creek Chub Bait Company, and the Auburn automotive industry. Register by calling 925-2414 ext. 420 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Wednesday, March 9, 6-7:30 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Super Happy Fun Time – Battle Bunny: Battle Bunny is a story about a boy named Alex who gets a silly, sappy picture book called Birthday Bunny. He picks up a pencil and turns it into something he would like to read. Come create stories using books that have been deleted from the library’s Easy Reader collection. Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, March 10, 3-3:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- The Library – Shelves Full of Family History: The internet is not the only place to find information on your family history. Join Professor John Philip Colletta as he talks about how to use the materials found in a library in part three of this video series. Register at the Willennar Genealogy Center, by calling 925-2414 ext. 420, or by emailing email@example.com. Saturday, March 12, 2-3 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Pick up book club books: Turn a Page With Anni book club will discuss “The Astronaut Wives Club” by Lily Koppel on Wednesday, March 16, from noon to 1 p.m., in the Close Community Room. Better Off Read book club will discuss “A Cook’s Tour” by Anthony Bourdain” on Thursday, March 17, at 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., at Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings. Books are available at the Information Desk.