It’s the last week for Eckhart Winter Read! Be sure to get into the Eckhart Public Library by 5 p.m. on Saturday, February 13, to pick up your prizes and get your name into prize drawings!
To finish Eckhart Winter Read with a big celebration, we will be holding Star Wars Day on Saturday, February 13, from 1-3 p.m. in the Close Community Room. You can party with “Star Wars” villains, from the Bloodfin Garrison of the 501st Legion, and enjoy “Star Wars” food, trivia, games, photos, and crafts!
Also this week is our annual Love Your Library Book Sale, sponsored by the Friends of the Eckhart Public Library! The sale begins with a Friends-only preview on Wednesday, February 10, from 4-8 p.m. Memberships, beginning at $10 per year, are available at the sale. All Friends members will be entered into a drawing to win Godiva chocolates. The sale continues Thursday, February 11, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, February 12, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., most items will be $1 per bag. The sale will include a wide selection of paperback and hardback fiction, nonfiction, and a large amount of children’s books, teaching resources, vintage mysteries, and more. The book sale takes place at the Willennar Administrative Annex, 212 W. Twelfth Street, Auburn, across the street from Eckhart Public Library’s main building.
Also, don’t forget – the library will be closed on Monday, February 15, in observance of President’s Day.
Here’s what else is happening at Eckhart Public Library this week:
- Color Café for Adults: Color Cafe for Adults is the second Monday evening of each month from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Main Library. De-stress with coloring and soothing refreshments. Monday, February 8, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Main Library.
- Planting Time for Teens: We will set up the greenhouse and start some herbs from seeds for our Not So Secret Garden. We will also mix up some healthy smoothies. Tuesday, February 9, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- Creative Writing: All writers, no matter what genre, are encouraged to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. This group is for adults 18 and older. Tuesday, February 9, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Look to the Sky – Variable Stars: Donn Starkey will be at Eckhart Public Library Tuesday, February 9, at 7 pm to present his experience in long-term research of variable stars, what they are, and what observing them can tell us about the universe. Registration is recommended to ensure a spot; call 925-2414 ext. 120 or email email@example.com. For more information about variable star research and how to get involved, visit The American Association of Variable Star Observers website at aavso.org. Tuesday, February 9, 7-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
- LEGO Club: Each month brings a different challenge and time for free-building. LEGO Club is for children in first through fifth grades. Wednesday, February 10, 4-5 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Book Sale: Friends-only preview. Memberships, beginning at $10 per year, are available at the sale. Wednesday, February 10, from 4-8 p.m., Willennar Administrative Annex.
- Book Sale: Thursday, February 11, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Willennar Administrative Annex.
- Super Happy Fun Time – Happy Valentine’s: Join us for some Valentine fun. There will be games and snacks for all. Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, February 11, 3-3:45 p.m.
- Throwback Thursday – A Look at the Conglomeration: The Conglomeration was a swing choir at DeKalb High School during the 1970’s. We will be sharing photos and interviews from that group and discussing how to prepare your own oral histories. Register by calling 925-2414 ext. 420 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Thursday, February 11, 6-7 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Book Sale: $1 per bag for most items. Friday, February 12, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Willennar Administrative Annex.
- Family Game Night: Stop in for some game time at the library! This drop in family program is recommended for families with children ages 3 & up. Children over age 7 through 5th grade would be welcome with or without an adult, but children under age 7 would need to be accompanied by a caregiver. Friday, February 12, 4-6 p.m., Secret Garden.
- There’s No Place Like Space: Children are welcome to explore the many corners of the galaxy both real and fictitious. All ages are welcome to participate in this drop in program, but children under 7 must be supervised. Saturday, February 13, 1-4 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Star Wars Day: Help Eckhart Library celebrate the end of Eckhart Winter Read by partying with some of your favorite Star Wars villains. Members of the 501st Legion of the Bloodfin Garrison will be at the library. Enjoy Star Wars food, trivia, games, photos, and crafts. Saturday, February 13, 1-3 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Genealogy Online – Gems & Junk: This video with Professor Philip Colletta will look at different ways to search online to research your family history. A discussion will follow the video. Register by calling 925-2414 ext. 420 or emailing email@example.com. Saturday, February 13, 2-3 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Library Closed: Eckhart Public Library campus buildings will be closed in observance of President’s Day. Monday, February 15.