Eckhart Winter Read is continuing this week! Stop in to get signed up to receive incentives and chances at grant prizes for reading items from Eckhart Public Library. Click here to read more about this fun initiative for children, teens, and adults.
Here’s what’s happening this week at Eckhart Public Library:
- Build Chewbacca for Teens: Stop in to create your very own Chewbacca. Monday, January 25-Saturday, January 30, Teen Library.
- Jedi Training Camp – Tatooine Droid Building Camp: Join us, you will, for an epic Star Wars adventure. Children in kindergarten through 5th grade are invited to train each Tuesday in January to become the Jedi Master they were always meant to be. No registration required! Tuesday, January 26, 4-5 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Creative Writing: All writers 18 and older, no matter what genre, are encouraged to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. Tuesday, January 26, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Star Gazing: Retired professional astronomer Jon Thomas will give a Tour of Our Galaxy. The spring and summer skies over Indiana offer a variety of celestial objects that are visible in small-to-moderate sized telescopes. These objects provide a great introduction to our own galaxy, revealing its size, shape and evolution. The talk will systematically travel along the Milky Way, highlighting some of the more easily identifiable constellation patterns and the locations of unique objects within them. For each object both Hubble and ground telescope views will be shown and compared. In addition, differences between the objects and their significance will be discussed. Tuesday, January 26, 7-8 p.m., Main Library.
- Ancient Aliens: We will be taking a look at the events in the 1940s that propelled the world into the age of UFOs. There will be a video and discussion. Wednesday, January 27, 6-7 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Super Happy Fun Time – Movie-Making: We will use the costumes we created the week before and create some short story movies. Super Happy Fun Time (formerly ATLAS) is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, January 28, 3-3:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Tabletop Game Night: Stop in to play some far-out tabletop games, including board games and card games. This month’s games will have a space theme. Thursday, January 28, 6-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
- There’s No Place Like Space: Each Saturday from 1-4 p.m. during our Eckhart Winter Read program, the Secret Garden will be open to children ready to explore the many corners of the galaxy both real and fictitious. All ages are welcome to participate in this drop in program, but children under 7 must be supervised. Saturday, January 30, 1-4 p.m., Children’s Department.