Welcome back! During our maintenance closing last week, we worked hard! Thanks to a grant from the Dekko Foundation, we began work on our grade school nook in the children’s department and on the installation of a sink and cabinetry at The Teen Library. These projects will continue through October. New computers were also installed in the Children’s Department and Teen Library, to replace outdated Windows XP computers. Staff also worked on processing items and preparing for upcoming events.
Now that we’re back, here is what we have planned for this week around the library campus:
- Emotional Wellness for Seniors: Emotional wellness is key to good overall health for seniors. Stop by Eckhart Public Library to learn more about improving emotional health and enjoy a relaxing, 10-minute massage, compliments of Smith Farm Manor’s Lifestyle 360 program. This is a free event open to all seniors. Registration recommended to ensure a spot. Register by calling 925-2414 ext. 120 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday, October 5, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Neon Readers Teen Book Club: We will begin reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner. We will discuss what we like and dislike about the story and then we will create our own maze out of Legos. Monday, October 5, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Genealogy 101: Join Cathy Vick, from the Willennar Genealogy Center, at the First United Methodist Church in Auburn for Genealogy 101. This class will give the frame work for getting started researching your family. There will be a short video with some discussion to follow. There will be handouts for participants to start writing down their family history. This class is offered as part of the church’s Personal Growth Class program. Register or get more information at auburnumc.church. Wednesday, October 7, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Auburn First United Methodist Church, 1203 E. Seventh St., Auburn.
- ATLAS (At the Library After School) – Ghouls and Gravestones: We will create some gravestones and ghosts out of recycled materials and display them out in the library park and in the children’s department. ATLAS is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, October 8, 3-3:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Sweet Cider: Fall is the perfect time for cider! Grab a sweater and join us in the library park to experiment with sweet apple cider. This event will take place inside if it is raining. Thursday, October 8, 6-7:30 p.m., Library Park.
- Family Game Night: Stop in for some game time at the library. This drop in family program is recommended for families with children ages 3 & up. Children over age 7 through 5th grade would be welcome with or without an adult, but children under age 7 would need to be accompanied by a caregiver. Friday, October 9, 4-6 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Paranormal Investigation at the Library: Join BSR Paranormal investigators at Eckhart Public Library for a look at the methods and equipment used in paranormal research. Stick around after the library closes for an hour-long investigation around the library campus. BSR Paranormal is a non-profit organization located in Fort Wayne, Indiana that conducts paranormal investigations. Registration suggested, but not required, by calling 925-2414 ext. 120 or emailing email@example.com. Saturday, October 10, 4-6 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Library Closed – Columbus Day: The Eckhart Public Library campus will be closed on Monday, October 12, in observance of Columbus Day. The library will reopen on Tuesday, October 13, with regular hours.