A historical photograph of the DeKalb County Free Fall Fair, from the Willennar Genealogy Center collection. Find more historic photographs by clicking here.
All buildings on the Eckhart Public Library campus are closed for maintenance Monday, September 28, through Saturday, October 3. The library campus will reopen on Monday, October 5. Staff will be working hard on many projects to help make Eckhart Public Library a better place for patrons!
Interested in the history of the DeKalb County Free Fall Fair? Chelsea Molin from the Willennar Genealogy Center will be presenting The History of the DeKalb County fair for the Homemakers Club at the Exhibit Hall on Thursday, October 1, at noon. Chelsea has research the DeKalb County fair extensively during her time working as an intern at the Genealogy Center.
Here’s a sneak peek of some exciting events planned for Eckhart Public Library in October. Mark your calendar!
- Emotional Wellness for Seniors: Emotional wellness is key to good overall health for seniors. Stop by Eckhart Public Library to learn more about improving emotional health and enjoy a relaxing, 10-minute massage, compliments of Smith Farm Manor’s Lifestyle 360 program. This is a free event open to all seniors. Registration recommended to ensure a spot. Register by calling 925-2414 ext. 120 or emailing email@example.com. Monday, October 5, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Genealogy 101: Join Cathy Vick, from the Willennar Genealogy Center, at the First United Methodist Church in Auburn for Genealogy 101. This class will give the frame work for getting started researching your family. There will be a short video with some discussion to follow. There will be handouts for participants to start writing down their family history. This class is offered as part of the church’s Personal Growth Class program. Register or get more information at auburnumc.church. Wednesday, October 7, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Auburn First United Methodist Church, 1203 E. Seventh St., Auburn.
- Sweet Cider: Fall is the perfect time for cider! Grab a sweater and join us in the library park to experiment with sweet apple cider. This event will take place in the Close Community Room if it is raining. Thursday, October 8, 6-7:30 p.m., Library Park.
- Paranormal Investigation at the Library: Join BSR Paranormal investigators at Eckhart Public Library for a look at the methods and equipment used in paranormal research. Stick around after the library closes for an hour-long investigation around the library campus. BSR Paranormal is a non-profit organization located in Fort Wayne, Indiana that conducts paranormal investigations. Registration suggested, but not required, by calling 925-2414 ext. 120 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Saturday, October 10, 4-6 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Library Closed – Columbus Day: The Eckhart Public Library campus will be closed on Monday, October 12, in observance of Columbus Day. The library will reopen on Tuesday, October 13, with regular hours.
- Fall Break: Join Eckhart Public Library for fun during Fall Break October 13-17! We will celebrate Tinker Tuesday, Writer Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, Fantasy Friday, and Safety Saturday with a variety of activities. Visit the library campus to pick up a flyer about this week of fun!
- Friends of the Eckhart Public Library Book Sale: Friends of the Eckhart Public Library sponsor this book sale, which raises money for Eckhart Public Library events, services, and collections. The sale is Wednesday, October 21, (Friends-Only Preview; memberships available at the door), 4-8 p.m.; Thursday, October 22, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and Friday, October 23 ($1 per bag), 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Willennar Administrative Annex.
- Extraordinary Hoosiers, Part One: Join Chelsea Molin from the Willennar Genealogy Center as she shares the research that is being done on the Extraordinary Hoosiers Project which is funded through the Library Services and Technology Act Grant. Part one with take a look at Don Lash, an Auburn native that participated in the 1936 Olympics and Egbert Mott, the first practicing lawyer in DeKalb County. This class is offered as part of the church’s Personal Growth Class program. Register or get more information at auburnumc.church. Wednesday, October 21, 6:30 p.m., Auburn First United Methodist Church, 1203 E. Seventh St., Auburn.
- Extraordinary Hoosiers, Part Two: Join Chelsea Molin as she shares the research being done at the Willennar Genealogy Center for our Extraordinary Hoosiers Project. This project is being funded by 2015 Library Services and Technology Act Grant. Part two covers circus founder, M. K. Houlton and Medical pioneer, Bonnell Souder. This class is offered as part of the church’s Personal Growth Class program. Register or get more information at auburnumc.church. Wednesday, October 28, 6:30 p.m., Auburn First United Methodist Church, 1203 E. Seventh St., Auburn.
- All Hallow’s Read: Enjoy this fun Halloween event at Eckhart Public Library! Trick or treat around the library campus, get made up like a monster, watch spooky cartoons, play games, meet some Auburn residents from years-gone-by, and more! Everybody is encouraged to dress up! Thursday, October 29, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Library Campus.
- Tabletop Game Night: On the last Thursday of each month, come play tabletop games! Bring your favorite board game, card game, tile game, or other tabletop game, or join in a game with fellow gamers. Games will have a spooky theme to celebrate Halloween. Thursday, October 29, 6-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
- ‘Halloween’ Screening: Eckhart Public Library will celebrate Halloween! After hours on Saturday, October 31, Eckhart Public Library will be screening John Carpenter’s 1978 classic horror film “Halloween.” Guests are invited to eat popcorn, enter a drawing for a Halloween gift bag, and stay after the screening for a discussion of Halloween and its place in film history. Please note: this film is rated “R” and is recommended for mature audiences. For more information about the content, see Common Sense Media’s page: http://tinyurl.com/pwpavca and the Internet Movie Database’s entry for Halloween: http://tinyurl.com/oaskss7. Saturday, October 31, 7-10 p.m., Close Community Room. (Doors will lock at 7:15 p.m.)