The kids may be back at school, but there’s still plenty of fun to be had at Eckhart Public Library!
Our Family History Boot Camp Part 3 starts this week! Join the staff of the Willennar Genealogy Center to learn how to research your genealogy and family history in this four-week class on August 12, 19, and 26 and September 2 from 6-8 p.m. The four sessions will include instruction on research and technology. This class covers different topics than our previous classes, but you do not need to have taken our previous classes to participate! Register by calling the genealogy department at 925-2414 ext. 420 or emailing email@example.com.
Also, don’t forget that it’s Read a Romance Month! The month of August is dedicated to reading romance! Everybody who reads a romance novel from Eckhart Public Library in the month of August can enter in a drawing to win an Eckhart Public Library romance prize pack. We will also have several romance-related events, and a weekly Romance Cover Caption Contest on Facebook. Click here to read more about Read a Romance Month!
Here’s what else is happening this week at Eckhart Public Library:
- Teen Gardening: We’ll harvest some vegetables from the Teen Not-So-Secret Garden and make a yummy snack. If the weather is nice we may even get out the charcoal grill. Tuesday, August 11, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers 18 and older, no matter what genre, are welcome in this group. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. Tuesday, August 11, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Read a Romance Month – Romance Cover Crafts: Make crafts from the kitschy covers of 1980s and 1990s romance novels. Crafts include coasters, jewelry boxes, and more. Wednesday, August 12, 6:30-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Family Game Night: Come play games at the library! Playing board games help children develop good character, problem solving, reasoning skills, sharing skill, social skills, and language skills. This drop-in family program is recommended for families with children age 3 and older. Children over the age of seven through fifth grade are welcome with or without an adult. Friday, August 14, 4-6 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Check out Book Club books: Turn a Page with Anni will discuss “Things Remembered” by Georgia Bockoven on Wednesday, August 19, noon to 1 p.m., in the JHG Room. Better Off Read will discuss “Working” by Studs Terkel on Thursday, August 20, 6:30-7:30 p.m., at Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings. Pick up book club books at the Information Desk at the Main Library.
Register now for these future activities:
- Register for Storytime Enrichment Classes: Registration is open for Storytime Enrichment Classes! Classes are for children from birth through 6 years old and begin in September. Eckhart Public Library is proud to offer Storytime Enrichment Classes for the children and families in our community at no cost to them. All families are welcome, and no library card is needed to attend these classes. The library offers weekly classes at several times during the week. Visitors are always welcome. Register by calling the Children’s Department at 925-2414 ext. 320.
- Register for Safe Sitter: Eckhart Public Library, in partnership with DeKalb Health, will offer a Safe Sitter class for children age 11-14 on Saturday, September 12, from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Safe Sitter curriculum provides hands-on practice in lifesaving techniques designed to prepare babysitters to act in an emergency. Babysitters also receive instruction on how a child’s age affects how to care for them, how to prevent problem behavior and how to run their own babysitting business. They also learn basic first aid as well as how to perform infant and child choking rescue. The course costs $20 and registration is limited. To register, visit the Children’s Department or call 925-2414 ext. 320.