We had a great time last week participating in Wordtastic Wonderland, sponsored by Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings, and Party in the Parking Lot, sponsored by First United Methodist Church in Auburn! Keep an eye out for the library more fun community events – we love to be a part of the fun!
It’s hard to believe that summer break is over and DeKalb Central students are going back to school on Tuesday! School-year hours start on August 4 for the Teen Library. When DeKalb Central schools are in session, the Teen Library is open from 4-8 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday.
It’s also already August, which means it’s Read a Romance Month! Everybody who reads a romance novel from Eckhart Public Library in the month of August can enter in a drawing to win an Eckhart Public Library romance prize pack. We will also have several romance-related events, and a weekly Romance Cover Caption Contest on Facebook. Read more about Read a Romance month by clicking here, and keep an eye on Charlie Chat for more blog posts about the romance genre.
Here’s what else is happening around the Eckhart Public Library campus this week:
- Neon Readers Teen Book Club: What books should we read? What activities do we want to do? Come to bookclub and let’s figure it out for the fall. Monday, August 3, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Read a Romance Month – Author Visit: Fort Wayne romance author Kyra Jacobs will be at Eckhart Public Library. Jacobs is the author of the Hometown Heroes series, and she will publish another novel in September. She will talk about writing, and sell and sign copies of her books. Books will cost $10. Tuesday, August 4, 6:30-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available for this group. Thursday, August 6, 6-7:45 p.m., Main Library.
- Register for Family History Boot Camp Part 3: Join the staff of the Willennar Genealogy Center to learn how to research your genealogy and family history in this four-week class. The four sessions will include instruction on research and technology. Register by calling the genealogy department at 925-2414 ext. 420 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. August 12, 19, and 26 and September 2, 6-8 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Register for Storytime Enrichment Classes: Registration is open for Storytime Enrichment Classes! Classes are for children from birth through 6 years old and begin in September. Eckhart Public Library is proud to offer Storytime Enrichment Classes for the children and families in our community at no cost to them. All families are welcome, and no library card is needed to attend these classes. The library offers weekly classes at several times during the week. Visitors are always welcome. Register by calling the Children’s Department at 925-2414 ext. 320.
- Register for Safe Sitter: Eckhart Public Library, in partnership with DeKalb Health, will offer a Safe Sitter class for children age 11-14 on Saturday, September 12, from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Safe Sitter curriculum provides hands-on practice in lifesaving techniques designed to prepare babysitters to act in an emergency. Babysitters also receive instruction on how a child’s age affects how to care for them, how to prevent problem behavior and how to run their own babysitting business. They also learn basic first aid as well as how to perform infant and child choking rescue. The course costs $20 and registration is limited. To register, visit the Children’s Department or call 925-2414 ext. 320.