It’s nearly time for children and teens to go back to school, but that doesn’t mean that the fun stops around Eckhart Public Library. When the weather is nice, it’s especially pleasant to spend time in Library Park. You can read, eat lunch, converse, surf the internet (the free Wi-Fi on the library campus covers the park), or just sit and enjoy the beauty.
Here’s what is happening around the library campus this week:
- Teen Super Gardeners: Stop by the teen library this summer to help out with the Not-So-Secret Garden. Adopt a vegetable/fruit or a row of vegetables/fruit to take care of. Sign up to water the plants each week from the rain in the rain barrels. We will create delicious snacks out of the fruits and vegetables as they ripen all summer long. Tuesday, July 28, 1-2 p.m., Teen Library.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers, no matter what genre, are encouraged to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. This group is for adults 18 and above. Tuesday, July 28, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Super Summer Stories on the Lawn – Every Superhero Needs a Sidekick: Join us for this fun family storytime. Bring a blanket to sit on. Wednesday, July 29, 6-6:45 p.m., Library Park.
- Teen Game Day: Bring a friend, and enjoy some video games or board games of your choice! Friday, July 31, 12:30-7:30 p.m., Teen Library.
And don’t forget to register for upcoming classes:
- Register for Storytime Enrichment Classes: Registration is open for Storytime Enrichment Classes! Classes are for children from birth through 6 years old and begin in September. Eckhart Public Library is proud to offer Storytime Enrichment Classes for the children and families in our community at no cost to them. All families are welcome, and no library card is needed to attend these classes. The library offers weekly classes at several times during the week. Visitors are always welcome. Register by calling the Children’s Department at 925-2414 ext. 320.
- Register for Safe Sitter: Eckhart Public Library, in partnership with DeKalb Health, will offer a Safe Sitter class for children age 11-14 on Saturday, September 12, from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Safe Sitter curriculum provides hands-on practice in lifesaving techniques designed to prepare babysitters to act in an emergency. Babysitters also receive instruction on how a child’s age affects how to care for them, how to prevent problem behavior and how to run their own babysitting business. They also learn basic first aid as well as how to perform infant and child choking rescue. The course costs $20 and registration is limited. To register, visit the Children’s Department or call 925-2414 ext. 320.
- Register for Family History Boot Camp: Join the staff of the Willennar Genealogy Center to learn how to research your genealogy and family history in this four-week class. The four sessions will include instruction on research and technology. Register by calling the genealogy department at 925-2414 ext. 420 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. August 12, 19, and 26 and September 2, 6-8 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center.