It may be nearly time to go back to school, but it still feels summery around the Eckhart Public Library Campus! We hope you have time to take a few minutes in Library Park, our outdoor reading room, or strolling past the Not-So-Secret Garden at the Teen Library and enjoy our beautiful campus!
We also have registration open for several late-summer and fall events:
- Register for Storytime Enrichment Classes: Registration is open for Storytime Enrichment Classes! Classes are for children from birth through 6 years old and begin in September. Eckhart Public Library is proud to offer Storytime Enrichment Classes for the children and families in our community at no cost to them. All families are welcome, and no library card is needed to attend these classes. The library offers weekly classes at several times during the week. Visitors are always welcome. Register by calling the Children’s Department at 925-2414 ext. 320.
- Register for Safe Sitter: Eckhart Public Library, in partnership with DeKalb Health, will offer a Safe Sitter class for children age 11-14 on Saturday, September 12, from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Safe Sitter curriculum provides hands-on practice in lifesaving techniques designed to prepare babysitters to act in an emergency. Babysitters also receive instruction on how a child’s age affects how to care for them, how to prevent problem behavior and how to run their own babysitting business. They also learn basic first aid as well as how to perform infant and child choking rescue. The course costs $20 and registration is limited. To register, visit the Children’s Department or call 925-2414 ext. 320.
- Register for Family History Boot Camp: Join the staff of the Willennar Genealogy Center to learn how to research your genealogy and family history in this four-week class. The four sessions will include instruction on research and technology. Register by calling the genealogy department at 925-2414 ext. 420 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. August 12, 19, and 26 and September 2, 6-8 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center.
Here’s what is happening this week around the Eckhart Public Library Campus:
- Neon Readers: There will be lively book discussions, activities, and snacks for all! Monday, July 20, 1-3 p.m., Teen Library.
- Teen Super Gardeners: Stop by the teen library this summer to help out with the Not-So-Secret Garden. Adopt a vegetable/fruit or a row of vegetables/fruit to take care of. Sign up to water the plants each week from the rain in the rain barrels. We will create delicious snacks out of the fruits and vegetables as they ripen all summer long. Tuesday, July 21, 1-2 p.m., Teen Library.
- Super Summer Stories on the Lawn – Heroes Vs. Villains: Join us for this fun family storytime. Bring a blanket to sit on. Wednesday, July 22, 6-6:45 p.m., Library Park.
- Friends of the Eckhart Public Library Book Sale: Friends of the Eckhart Public Library sponsor this book sale, which raises money for Eckhart Public Library events, services, and collections. The sale is Wednesday, July 22, (Friends-Only Preview; memberships available at the door) from 4-8 p.m.; Thursday, July 23, and Friday, July 24 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.,; and Saturday, July 25 ($1 per bag) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Tabletop Game Night: Come play tabletop games at the library! We will be learning to play Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride. Carcassone is a tile-placement game where players score points by building cities, roads, grasslands, and cloisters. Ticket to Ride is an easy-to-learn game where players earn points by connecting cities through railway routes. Other games will also be available to play, or bring your favorite board game. Read more about the games by clicking here. Thursday, July 23, 6-8 p.m., Close Community Room.