It’s the last week of Eckhart Summer Read, but if you haven’t participated yet, it’s not too late! You can earn prizes for reading items checked out from Eckhart Public Library or researching at the Willennar Genealogy Center! Books, magazines, audiobooks, e-books, graphic novels, and manga all count toward Eckhart Summer Read totals. Grand prizes include prize packs, e-readers, gift cards for local businesses, and more. Researchers at the Willennar Genealogy Center can earn chances to win an Ancestry DNA Kit. Adults can also earn additional grand prize tickets for checking out items from displays, playing “Book Bingo,” and attending adult or all-ages events. Visit the Eckhart Public Library to start participating! You just have to have everything turned in and tracked by 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 11; we will draw grand prize winners at 4:45 p.m. on Saturday, July 11, at our Grand Finale.
The Eckhart Summer Read Grand Finale is on Saturday, July 11, from 2-5 p.m. in Library Park, and it’s going to be a lot of fun! It will include snacks, games, photo booth, costume contest (read more here), prizes, giveaways, and more! Grand Finale activities are for all ages. Read more about the Grand Finale by clicking here.
Here’s what is happening around the Eckhart Public Library Campus this week:
- Neon Readers: There will be lively book discussions, activities, and snacks for all! Monday, July 6, 1-3 p.m., Teen Library.
- Teen Movie: Come pick a movie to watch at the Teen Library. Monday, July 6, 4 p.m., Teen Library.
- Preschool Super Summer Crafts: Super crafts for children kindergarten-aged and younger. Parents need to stay with their preschoolers. Registration required; begins July 2. Tuesday, July 7, 10:30-11:15, Secret Garden.
- Teen Super Gardeners: Stop by the teen library this summer to help out with the Not-So-Secret Garden. Adopt a vegetable/fruit or a row of vegetables/fruit to take care of. Sign up to water the plants each week from the rain in the rain barrels. We will create delicious snacks out of the fruits and vegetables as they ripen all summer long. Tuesday, July 7, 1-2 p.m., Teen Library.
- Super Summer Stories on the Lawn—The Hero Inside Me: This weekly storytime is for families. Bring a blanket to sit on. Wednesday, July 8, 6-6:45 p.m., Library Park.
- Don Lash—Auburn Hero: Come learn about Don Lash, an Auburn High School graduate who broke running records, competed in the 1936 Olympics, joined the FBI, and served the public. Sharon Zonker will speak and share artifacts, photos, and more. Wednesday, July 8, 6-7:30 p.m., Learning Lab.
- Family Summer Program—Bingo: Come play a few rounds of Bingo and win fun prizes. Thursday, July 9, 10:15 a.m., Library Park.
- Super Science for Teens: What’s the science behind Batman’s gadgets? Could a person really affect the weather like the X-Men’s Storm? Could Thor’s hammer really exist? Learn how you can use super science in the fight against evil. Super snacks will be served. Thursday, July 9, 2-3:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Superhero Camp – Superhero Snacks: Children in kindergarten through fifth grade will create our very own superheroes from the ground up. Each week we will learn new superhero/villain skills, create costumes, and come up with back-stories. No registration required. Friday, July 10, 11-noon, Secret Garden.
- Family Game Night: Stop in for some game time at the library. This drop in family program is recommended for families with children ages 3 & up. Friday, July 10, 4-6 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Eckhart Summer Read Grand Finale: Celebrate Eckhart Summer Read with our Grand Finale celebration! This exciting event will include snacks, games, a cosplay (costume) contest for all ages, a photo booth, prizes, giveaways, and more! Saturday, July 11, 2-5 p.m., Library Park.