Willennar Genealogy Center’s collection is full of Throwback Thursday potential, so let’s get our #TBT on!
Today, let’s take a look at another piece of Garrett’s history: the Sacred Heart Hospital.
It all began with Father August Young in April of 1901. Father Young, who had moved to Garrett after establishing Auburn’s very first Catholic church, saw the growing town’s need for good medical facilities, especially while it was experiencing expansion due to the railroad industry. Wanting to do something about it, he purchased land on the corner of Houston and Ijams Street; here, Sacred Heart Hospital was opened.
A Colonial Revival-style hospital building was constructed in 1902, and the hospital itself was run by the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart. According to a 1902 issue of the Auburn Weekly Courier, the building was equipped with “all modern appliances, hot and cold water, steam heat, electric fans and everything modern, elaborate and up-to-date.” An addition was also built in 1918, to help keep up with Garrett’s growth. The Franciscan Sisters continued to operate the hospital until May 1, 1959, when a combination of factors made it too impractical to keep the facilities running.
Since then, the building has gone through several other changes. For a short time, it housed the Garrett Community Hospital, and in 1974, it functioned as an apartment building. After this second phase, the building fell into disrepair and became vacant, but in 1983, Sacred Heart was added to the National Register of Historic Places as part of Garrett’s Historic District. A grant through the Historic Preservation Fund then allowed the building to be restored. It is currently being used for affordable senior housing.
Want to see more local history? Click here to search our online photo database.