We’ve had a great first week of Eckhart Summer Read, and we’re looking forward to more fun in the weeks to come! If you haven’t participated yet, you still have plenty of time! You can get signed up anytime during Eckhart Summer Read, which ends on July 11.
People of all ages can earn prizes, and chances at grand prizes, by reading items checked out from the Eckhart Public Library collection – including books, magazines, audiobooks, graphic novels, and manga! Grand prizes include gift cards, Kindle Fire, gift sets, and more!
Researchers at the Willennar Genealogy Center can also earn prizes and chances at a grand prize for doing research. The grand prize for genealogy researchers is a Ancestry DNA kit!
Another aspect of Eckhart Summer Reads is all the events, classes, and activities happening around the library campus. Here’s what’s going on this week:
- Toddler Friends 1 2 3—Heroes In My Community: Children 18 months to three years old and their parents/caregivers come together to participate in an interactive learning environment. Monday, June 8, 10:15-11 a.m., Library Park
- Teen Movie: Come pick a movie to watch at the Teen Library. Monday, June 8, 4 p.m., Teen Library.
- Preschool Super Summer Crafts: Super crafts for children kindergarten-aged and younger. Parents need to stay with their preschoolers. Required registration begins June 4; register by calling 925-2414 ext. 320. Tuesday, June 9, 10:30-11:15, Secret Garden.
- Teen Super Gardeners: Stop by the teen library this summer to help out with the Not-So-Secret Garden. Adopt a vegetable/fruit or a row of vegetables/fruit to take care of. Sign up to water the plants each week from the rain in the rain barrels. Tuesday, June 9, 1-2 p.m., Teen Library.
- Drawing Superheroes: Artist Lee Sauer will be here for interactive instruction on how to draw superheroes. Interested artists can stay behind after the program to have their caricatures drawn. Registration recommended by calling 925-2414 ext. 120, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or visiting epl.lib.in.us and clicking on “Calendar.” Tuesday, June 9, 1-4:30 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers, no matter what genre, are encouraged to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. Tuesday, June 9, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Super Summer Stories on the Lawn—Community Heroes: We will be welcoming one of our very own community heroes, special guest Sergeant Joe McGrade and his K-9 partner. Bring a blanket to sit on. Wednesday, June 10, 6-6:45 p.m., Library Park.
- Summer Family Program – Juggling with Jim Merrils: Come learn how to juggle! Thursday, June 11, 10:15 a.m., Library Park.
- Escape the Ordinary—The Power of Magnets: Ricardo Hidalgo will be here for a training session on the therapeutic use of magnets. Mr. Hidalgo earned a diploma in Biomagnetism and Bioenergy from the Universidad De Chapingo in 2010. He has participated in more than forty Biomagnetic and Bioenergy seminars around the world. Registration recommended by calling 925-2414 ext. 120, emailing email@example.com, or visiting epl.lib.in.us and clicking on “Calendar.” Eckhart Public Library is not affiliated with the presenters or organizers of this event. Thursday, June 11, 6:30-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Superhero Camp – Superhero Capes: Children in kindergarten through fifth grade will create our very own superheroes from the ground up. Each week we will learn new superhero/villain skills, create costumes, and come up with back-stories. No registration required. Friday, June 12, 11-noon, Secret Garden.
- Family Game Night: Stop in for some game time at the library. This drop in family program is recommended for families with children ages 3 & up. Friday, June 12, 4-6 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Register for Preschool Super Summer Crafts: Registration begins June 11 for Preschool Super Summer Crafts on Tuesday, June 16 from 10:30-11:15 a.m. in the Secret Garden. Call 925-2414 ext. 320 to register.
- Check out Book Club books: Turn a Page with Anni will discuss “Quaker Café” by Brenda Bevan Remmes on Wednesday, June 17, from noon to 1 p.m. in the JHG Room at the Main Library. Better Off Read will discuss “Wolf in White Van” by John Darnielle on Thursday, June 18, from 6:30-8 p.m. at Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings. Check out the books at the Information Desk at the Main Library.