Willennar Genealogy Center’s collection is full of Throwback Thursday potential, so let’s get our #TBT on!
There are several towns and cities that are familiar to DeKalb County residents—Ashley, Auburn, Butler, Garrett, Waterloo—but there have also been plenty of smaller settlements in the county over the years. Today let’s take a look at a few of these other places.
The community of Newville is located on the eastern edge of the county in, of course, Newville Township. The area was originally named Vienna, and is one of the oldest settlements in DeKalb County, having been platted in 1837. In the county’s earliest years, Newville did very well, and was home to several stores and a hotel.
Orangeville (also known simply as “Orange”) is a tiny community set in the eastern half of Concord Township. It was platted in 1837, and that same spring, the settlers there opened what would be DeKalb County’s very first store. For a little while, at least, Orangeville also had a physician, a school, and a mill.
At the northern edge of Richland Township stands a little village known as Sedan. Originally known as Lawrence—after David Lawrence, who originally owned the land—this community was once an important place for shipping grain to cities like Toledo and Chicago. At its peak, Sedan had a flour mill, candy factory, two blacksmith shops, a cider mill and more. It was once also home to Jane Brooks Hine, the “Bird Woman of Indiana.”
Want to see more? Click here to search for lesser-known places in DeKalb County, such as Moore, Fairfield Center, or Concord.