Spring is just around the corner, but don’t forget – you still have time to find your literary love with Blind Date with a Book. Check out a “date,” and let us know how it went, or how it’s going! Return the slip found in your book, and you’ll be eligible to win chocolate! The drawing is on March 2.
Cozy up at Eckhart Public Library with these fun events:
- Neon Readers: The Neon Readers will finish reading the graphic novel “The Graveyard Book” by Neil Gaiman. We’ll discuss what we liked and disliked about the story. Then we will repurpose old CDs into something new. Monday, February 23, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Oscar Party – Rescheduled!: It was too cold to walk the red carpet last week, so we’re going to have our Oscar party on Monday night. Come talk about the winners, the ceremony, the fashion, and more! There will also be Oscar trivia, refreshments, and a chance to win an Eckhart Public Library swag bag! Monday, February 23, 6-7:30 p.m. Read more by clicking here.
- Is Barack Obama An Imperial President?: A Look at America’s Top Office: In honor of President’s Day, Manchester University political science professor Dr. Leonard Williams will join Eckhart Public Library for a look at the institution of the presidency. We’ll explore what the Constitution actually says about the presidency and the historical development of presidential power. At the end of the talk, guests will have the opportunity to evaluate the presidency of current U.S. President Barack Obama. Themed refreshments will be served. Tuesday, February 24, 7 p.m., Close Community Room.
- ATLAS – Let’s Go To the Tropics: There will be stories, music, dancing and crafts for all at our tropical celebration. Thursday, February 26, 3-3:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Tabletop Game Night: Come play tabletop games! Bring your favorite board game, card game, tile game, or other tabletop game, or join in a game with fellow gamers. Thursday, February 26, 6-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Teen Game Day: Bring a friend, and enjoy some video games or board games of your choice. Friday, February 27, Teen Library.
- Taking Care of Yourself: This class for girls in fourth through sixth grades will teach them how to take care of their hair, skin and more. A pediatric nurse practitioner will be presenting a short program, followed by a craft, games and refreshments. Girls can register in the Children’s or Teen Department and space is limited. Register by Thursday, February 26. Saturday, February 28, 10:30 a.m. to noon, Close Community Room.
- Register now for Safe Sitter: Eckhart Public Library, in partnership with DeKalb Health, will offer a Safe Sitter course for teens ages 11-14 on Saturday, March 14, from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Safe Sitter is a medically-accurate program that provides hands-on practice in lifesaving techniques designed to prepare babysitters to act in an emergency. Babysitters also receive instruction on how a child’s age affects how to care for them, how to prevent problem behavior and how to run their own babysitting business. They also learn basic first aid as well as how to perform infant and child choking rescue. The cost of the course is $20. Register by Thursday, March 5, by visiting the Children’s Department or calling 925-2414 ext. 320.