Happy President’s Day! The Eckhart Public Library campus is closed today, Monday, February 16, in observance of the holiday, but we will be back open with normal hours on Tuesday, February 17.
Don’t forget, you can check out e-books and e-audiobooks 24/7 via OverDrive with your library card number and PIN.
Here is what else is happening around the campus this week:
- Turn a Page with Anni: This book club will be discussing “Wine to Water: How One Man Saved Himself While Trying to Save the World” by Doc Hendley. Wednesday, February 18, noon to 1 p.m., JHG Room.
- ATLAS – Charlie’s Chapters: Children in kindergarten through second grade will explore more fables and do another fable-themed activity. Children in grades 3-5 will finish reading “Inkheart” by Cornelia Funke. We’ll talk about what we liked and disliked about the story. Then we will create our very own ink pens using feathers, dye and parts of an ink pen. Thursday, February 19, 3-3:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Oscar Party: Before the Academy Awards air on February 22, walk the red carpet at Eckhart Public Library! Join us for refreshments, trivia games, and a chance to win an Eckhart Public Library swag bag. Eckhart Public Library Associate Director and resident movie critic Jenny Kobiela-Mondor will also be there to discuss the nominees. Thursday, February 19, 6-7:30 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters are welcome. Crocheters are also welcome to attend. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available from this group. Thursday, February 19, 6-8 p.m., Eckhart Public Library.
- Register now for Taking Care of Yourself: Girls in fourth through sixth grades are invited to Taking Care Of Yourself, a class to learn how to take care of your hair, skin, and more, on Saturday, February 28, 10:30 a.m. to noon. A pediatric nurse practitioner will present a short program. The class will also include a craft, games, and refreshment. Space is limited, and the deadline to register is Thursday, February 26. Register by visiting the Children’s Department or the Teen Library, or by calling the Children’s Department at 925-2414 ext. 320 or the Teen Library at 925-2414 ext. 620. Read more by clicking here.
- Register now for Safe Sitter: Eckhart Public Library, in partnership with DeKalb Health, will offer a Safe Sitter course for teens ages 11-14 on Saturday, March 14, from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Safe Sitter is a medically-accurate program that provides hands-on practice in lifesaving techniques designed to prepare babysitters to act in an emergency. Babysitters also receive instruction on how a child’s age affects how to care for them, how to prevent problem behavior and how to run their own babysitting business. They also learn basic first aid as well as how to perform infant and child choking rescue. The cost of the course is $20. Register by Thursday, March 5, by visiting the Children’s Department or calling 925-2414 ext. 320.