It’s February! Spring is just around the corner! Soon we’ll be enjoying the fountain and park around the library! But for now, come on in and get warmed up with these fun events:
- Eckhart Winter Read and Eckhart Winter Research: Children, teens, and adults can earn prizes when they read items checked out from Eckhart Public Library! Plus, genealogy, family history, and local history researchers can participate in the Eckhart Winter Research at the Willennar Genealogy Center and earn prizes for researching! Runs through February 14. Visit Eckhart Public Library to pick up a tally sheet.
- Neon Readers Book Club: This teen book club will begin reading “The Graveyard Book” graphic novel by Neil Gaiman. Then, we will create some valentines for our friends. Monday, February 2, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Cooking With Mary – Valentines Treats: Join a hands-on demonstration for all ages of delicious treats you can make with your valentine. Register by calling 925-2414 ext. 120 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Tuesday, February 3, 6-7:30 p.m., Close Community Room.
- ATLAS – Charlie’s Chapters: Children in kindergarten through second grade will explore fables and enjoy a fable-themed activity. Children in third through fifth grades will begin reading “Inkheart” by Cornelia Funke and create some unique artwork using faux ink, straws, and paper. Thursday, February 5, 3-3:45 p.m., Secret Garden. For more information, call the Children’s Department at 925-2414 ext. 320 or email email@example.com.
- Harry Potter Book Night: Join us on the first ever Harry Potter Book Night! Harry Potter Book Night will be celebrated in many places around the world on February 5th. We’ll have games, trivia, wands, and more for muggles and wizards alike! Thursday, February 5, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Knifty Knitters: Knitters and crocheters at all levels are invited. Having trouble with a problem pattern? Help is available from this group. Thursday, February 5, 6-7:45 p.m.
- Literary “Doctor Who”: Watch an episode of “Doctor Who” with a literary theme! We will watch “The Unicorn and the Wasp,” featuring author Agatha Christie. Stick around afterward for a brief discussion about the episode. The event is open to “Doctor Who” fans and newbies alike! Saturday, February 7, 2-3 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Register now for Toddler Friends 1 2 3: Spots are open for the winter & spring sessions of this free monthly class. At Toddler Friends 1 2 3, children 18 months to 3 years old, parents, and caregivers come together to participate in center based learning. Centers/stations are developed to help toddlers develop fine motor, large motor, and social skills. After cleaning up as a group we will come together for a story, music and finger plays based on a monthly theme. Toddler Friends 1 2 3 meets on Saturdays, February 7, March 7, April 4, and May 2, 10:15-11:15 a.m. Register by calling the Children’s Department at 925-2414 ext. 320. Several spots are open in weekly storytime classes as well.
- Register now for Family History Boot Camp Part 2: The Family History Boot Camp Part Two is for the patron that has already completed one of our 2014 boot camps or is already experienced in basic family history research. This boot camp will have tips on digging deeper into your family’s past. There will be a video followed by a discussion and time to do research. February 18, February 25, March 4, and March 11, 6 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center. Space is limited – register by calling 925-2414 ext. 420 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Register now for Safe Sitter: Eckhart Public Library, in partnership with DeKalb Health, will offer a Safe Sitter course for teens ages 11-14 on Saturday, March 14, from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Safe Sitter is a medically-accurate program that provides hands-on practice in lifesaving techniques designed to prepare babysitters to act in an emergency. Babysitters also receive instruction on how a child’s age affects how to care for them, how to prevent problem behavior and how to run their own babysitting business. They also learn basic first aid as well as how to perform infant and child choking rescue. The cost of the course is $20. Register by Thursday, March 5, by visiting the Children’s Department or calling 925-2414 ext. 320.
- Pick up book club books: Books are available now for February book clubs. Better Off Read will discuss “Short Girls” by Bich Mihn Nguyen on Thursday, February 12, at 6:30 p.m. at Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings. Turn a Page with Anni will discuss “Wine to Water: How One Man Saved Himself While Trying to Save the World” by Doc Hendley on Wednesday, February 18, at noon at the library.