We’re solidly into September, which means it’s almost time for the DeKalb County Free Fall Fair! Don’t forget, the entire Eckhart Public Library Campus will be closed September 22-27 during the Fair. And when you get back, there will be a new arrangement in the Adult Fiction section! Read more about the change by clicking here.
Here’s what happening this week:
- Library Card Sign-Up Month: It’s library card sign-up month! Sign up for a library card this month and receive a gift and an entry into a drawing for an Eckhart Public Library prize pack. Read more about Library Card Sign-Up Month by clicking here.
- Banned Books Week: Eckhart Public Library will celebrate Banned Books Week on September 15-20. Pick up a banned book from a display on campus, and use social media to share your favorite banned books. Tweet or Instagram, or upload a YouTube video, using the hastag #EPLBannedBooks. Some of the tweets, pictures, and videos will be shared on Charlie Chat! Read more about Banned Books Week by clicking here.
- Lunch Bunch: Start a conversation with your past! Bring your brown bag lunch and join staff of the Willennar Genealogy Center to discuss family history, genealogy, and local history topics. Tuesday, September 16, noon to 1 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Turn a Page with Anni: This book club will discuss “Room” by Emma Donoghue. Wednesday, Setpember 17, noon to 1 p.m., Main Library.
- History of the DeKalb County Fair: Get ready for the fair by learning about the history of the DeKalb County Free Fall Fair. Items from the John Martin Smith Collection will be featured. Wednesday, September 17, 6-7:30 p.m., Sinclair Station at 1304 N. Main St., Auburn. Read more about this event by clicking here.
- Creative Writing: Writers 18 and up are encouraged to attend this writer’s “support group.” Writers will participate in writing exercises and share their work. Thursday, September 18, 10:15-11:45 a.m., JHG Room at the Main Library.
- ATLAS (At the Library After School): Don’t miss ATLAS: Charlie’s Chapters. Children in kindergarten through second grade will meet in the Secret Garden craft room. Students in grades 3-5 will meet in the Secret Garden storytime room to being reading “Whales on Stilts” by M.T. Anderson and creating their own whales. Thursday, September 18, 3-3:45 p.m.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome to join. Help is available for problem patterns. Thursday, September 18, 6-7:45 p.m., Close Community Room at Main Library.
- E-book Day: Celebrate e-books on an international scale! OverDrive, the library’s e-book distributor, will particiate in the largest digital reading event to show appreciation and awareness for e-books. Throughout the day on September 18, OverDrive will give away tablets and other digital devices every hour to readers who tell their e-book story on Facebook or Twitter with the hashtag #EbookDay or comment at readanebookday.com. Thursday, September 18.