It’s Library Card Sign-Up Month! If you don’t have a library card, sign up for one! You will receive a gift and an entry into a drawing for an Eckhart Public Library prize pack! If you have a card but you know someone who doesn’t, encourage them to sign up! For more information, including how to sign up, click here.
Here’s what’s happening at Eckhart Public Library this week:
- Cooking for Teens: Learn how to make simple apple dumplings with crescent rolls. All supplies will be provided. Monday, September 8, 4:30-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- ATLAS (At the Library After School): Don’t miss ATLAS: Fun & Games. Children in kindergarten through fifth grade will play outdoor games in the library park. Thursday, September 11, 3-3:45 p.m.
- Better Off Read: This book club, for people who read widely and think freely, will discuss “Kindred” by Octavia Butler. Thursday, September 11, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings.
- Book the Digital Lab: Do you have photos, documents, scrapbooks, or other items that mean a lot to you? Eckhart Public Library can help you capture and save a digital copy! A Willennar Genealogy Center staff member will guide you through the process of scanning your items using Willennar Genealogy Center equipment. Appointments are on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at the Willennar Genealogy Center. Call 925-2414 ext. 420 to book your time.
And be sure to mark your calendar for these other great events:
- Banned Books Week: Celebrate Banned Books Week with Eckhart Public Library September 15-20. Check out a banned book from the display, have a read-in, and tell us about your favorite banned book!
- History of the DeKalb County Fair: Get ready for the fair by learning about the history of the DeKalb County Free Fall Fair. Items from the John Martin Smith Collection will be featured. Wednesday, September 17, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Paranormal Investigations: B.S.R. Paranormal will be at Eckhart Public Library to talk about paranormal investigations and lead a ghost-hunt at Eckhart Public Library. B.S.R., out of Fort Wayne, investigates anything from ghosts to aliens to Mothmen to Bigfoot and anything in between. The B.S.R. crew will talk about paranormal investigations, and then will lead a ghost hunt at the Main Library. Saturday, October 4, 3:30-5 p.m. (presentation), 5-6 p.m. (ghost hunt).
- Lego Club: Lego club begins October 9! Children in grades 1-5 will be faced with a Lego challenge, then have time to build creations of their own. Lego Club meets on the second Wednesday of every month from October to March from 4-5 p.m.
- Author Talk & Book Signing: Joe and T’Gracie Reese, authors of the Nina Bannister cozy mystery series, will visit Eckhart Public Library. They will read a selection from their novels, answer questions about writing, and sell and sign books. Thursday, October 9, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Family History Month Open House: Get inspired to save and share your own family history. This open house, as part of Family History Month, will honor John Martin Smith and the collection his family has loaned to the library to digitize. It will also showcase ways to research, save, and share your own family history. Historian Dr. David Vanderstel will be our special guest speaker at 1 p.m. Saturday, October 11, noon to 4 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center.