It’s the last week of July! Soon, kids will be going back to school. Make sure you take advantage of the beautiful Eckhart Public Library campus while it’s still nice out. Before you know it, the days will be shorter and chillier.
In case you missed it, the Teen Library will have slightly different hours when school starts. The building will be open from 4-8 p.m. on weekdays during the school year. Read more about it by clicking here.
Also, as fall approaches, those of you with children from 12 months to 6 years old should be thinking about signing up for activities! Learn more about Preschool Storytime, Wee Read Storytime, and Toddler Friends 1 2 3 by clicking here, and visit the Children’s Department or call them at 260-925-2414 ext. 320 to sign up!
You should also consider joining one of our book clubs! You can pick up book club selections at the Information Desk in the Main Library. This month’s selections:
- Better Off Read will be reading “The Chatham School Affair” by Thomas H. Cook. From “Publisher’s Weekly:” “Like the best of his crime-writing colleagues, Cook (Breakheart Hill) uses the genre to open a window onto the human condition. In this literate, compelling novel, he observes the lives of people doomed to fates beyond their control and imagination.” Better Off Read will discuss the novel Thursday, August 14 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings.
- Turn a Page With Anni will be reading “In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash” by Hoosier satirist Jean Shepherd. Readers will recognize some of the stories from “In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash” – Shepherd co-wrote the beloved holiday movie “A Christmas Story” from this book. Turn a Page with Anni will discuss the book Wednesday, August 20 from noon to 1 p.m. at the Main Library.
Here’s what else is going on this week:
- Solar Cooking: Build your own solar cookers out of pizza boxes and learn how to survive during a natural disaster or the zombie apocalypse. Monday, July 28, 12:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Library Read and Roll Fun Skate: This event celebrates library summer reading programs in DeKalb County. Thursday, July 31, 5-7 p.m., Skatin’ Station in Auburn.
- Technology Tutoring: If you need help getting started with computer basics like navigating operating systems and Internet browsers or getting better acquainted with your tech devices, book an hour with a technology tutor. Library staff will help you get started and recommend resources to enrich your technology skills. Visit epl.lib.in.us or call 925-2414 ext. 120 to book a time.
- Book the Digital Lab: Do you have photos, documents, scrapbooks, or other such items that mean a lot to you? We can help you capture and save a digital copy! A Willennar Genealogy Center staff member will guide you through the process of scanning your items using Willennar Genealogy Center equipment. Appointments are on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at the Willennar Genealogy Center. Call 925-2414 ext. 420 or visit our website to book a slot.