Summer has been a long time coming, but we’re hoping that warmer weather is here, just in time for our Eckhart Summer Read kickoff!
That’s right, we’re less than a week from Eckhart Summer Read, our annual summer reading initiative for all ages! This year’s theme is heroes real and fictional – both ordinary heroes and superheroes! Children, teens, and adults can receive prizes for reading items checked out from Eckhart Public Library throughout the summer, while also earning chances to win grand prizes at the end of the summer. Books, magazines, audiobooks, e-books, graphic novels, and manga all count toward Eckhart Summer Read totals. Researchers at the Willennar Genealogy Center can also earn prizes and chances at prizes when researching genealogy, family history, or local history. We will also hold events, activities, classes, and other programs related to the hero theme during Eckhart Summer Read.
Eckhart Summer Read kicks off this Friday, May 29, from 5:30-7 p.m. in the Library Park. We will have free premium ice cream and toppings, and you can also get signed up for Eckhart Summer Read and learn how to track your reading for the summer to earn prizes!
Summer also means the start of the Teen Library summer hours, which will begin on Friday, May 29. The Teen Library will be open from noon to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon to 5 p.m. on Saturdays during DeKalb Central’s summer break.
Here’s what else is happening around the library campus this week:
- Fifth Grade Teen Library Open House: Fifth-grade teachers and students are invited to come check out the Teen Library prior to operating hours! Come in, look around, and have a snack. Parents of soon-to-be sixth graders are also invited. Tuesday, May 26, 2:45-8 p.m., Teen Library.
- Creative Writing: All writers 18 and older, no matter the genre, are invited to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. Tuesday, May 26, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room at Main Library.
- Family History Boot Camp Part Two: This four-session class is for genealogy and local history researchers who have completed one of our boot camps or is already experienced in basic research. This boot camp will have tips for digging deeper into your family’s past. There will be a video, followed by discussion and time to do research. The class is on four consecutive Wednesdays – May 27, June 3, June 10, and June 17 – at 6 p.m. at the Willennar Genealogy Center. Register at the Willennar Genealogy Center or by calling 925-2414 ext. 420 or emailing email@example.com.
- ATLAS – Farewell to ATLAS Until Fall: Children in kindergarten through fourth grade are invited to celebrate the end of ATLAS and the beginning of summer. Play games, do crafts, listen to music, read books, and eat snacks. At the Library After School (ATLAS) is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, May 28, 3-3:45 p.m., Children’s Department at Main Library.
- ATLAS – Teen Library Open House: Fifth graders at the At the Library After School (ATLAS) program are invited to come learn about the books and activities at the Teen Library. Enjoy a snack from the snack café and an activity that other teens have enjoyed in the past. Thursday, May 28, 3-3:45 p.m., meet in the Children’s Department to walk to the open house.
- Tabletop Game Night: Come play tabletop games, including board games, card games, tile games, or other games played on a tabletop. Bring your favorite game, or play one of the many games provided. Thursday, May 28, 6-8 p.m., Close Community Room at Main Library.
- Teen Library Summer Schedule: The Teen Library summer schedule begins on Friday, May 29. The teen library will open from noon to 8 p.m. on Monday through Friday and noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday.
- Teen Game Day: Bring a friend and enjoy some video games or board games of your choice! Friday, May 29, 12:30-7:30 p.m., Teen Library.