It’s finally March! Dare we hope that spring-like weather is around the corner?
Here is what is happening at Eckhart Public Library this week:
- Neon Readers Teen Book Club: The Neon Readers will begin reading volume 2 of the graphic novel “The Graveyard Book” by Neil Gaiman. We’ll discuss what we liked and disliked about the story. Then we will play a few rounds of Bingo, complete with small prizes. Monday, March 2, 5-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Essential Oils – Essential Questions: Essential oils are being used and talked about more and more. Join a discussion about the many uses of essentials hosted by Marci Thacker and sample commonly used essential oils. Register by calling the Information Desk at 925-2414 ext. 120 or emailing email@example.com. Monday, March 2, 6-7:30 p.m., Close Community Room.
- ATLAS (At the Library After School) – Charlie’s Chapters: Children in kindergarten through second grade will become authors by participating in the PBS Kids Writer’s Contest. Children in third through fifth grades will begin reading “Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales: Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood” and make some Civil War cornbread. Thursday, March 5, 3-3:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Knifty Knitters: Beginning and experienced knitters are welcome. Crocheters are also welcome to attend. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available from this group. Thursday, March 5, 6-7:45 p.m., Main Library.
- Register for Safe Sitter: Eckhart Public Library, in partnership with DeKalb Health, will offer a Safe Sitter course for teens ages 11-14 on Saturday, March 14, from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Safe Sitter is a medically-accurate program that provides hands-on practice in lifesaving techniques designed to prepare babysitters to act in an emergency. Babysitters also receive instruction on how a child’s age affects how to care for them, how to prevent problem behavior and how to run their own babysitting business. They also learn basic first aid as well as how to perform infant and child choking rescue. The cost of the course is $20. Register by Thursday, March 5, by visiting the Children’s Department or calling 925-2414 ext. 320.
- Pick Up Your Book Club Books: Turn a Page With Anni will discuss “S is For Silence” by Sue Grafton on Wednesday, March 18, at noon in the JHG Room at the Main Library. Better Off Read will discuss “We Have Always Lived in the Castle” by Shirley Jackson on Thursday, March 19, at 6:30 p.m., at Jeremiah’s Brewed Awakenings.
Also, be sure to mark your calendars for a week of fun coming up later this month! We will be having our own Spring Break at Eckhart Public Library March 23-27. Each day will have a theme: Space Day (Monday), Beach Day (Tuesday), Time-Travel Day (Wednesday), Art Gallery Day (Thursday), and Staycation Day (Friday). You won’t want to miss it!